Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Addition

Hi everyone

I bought a B Albopilosum today for 20 notes to replace my MM B Emilia. After I've got her home though I'm starting to think she isn't a curly hair - she doesn't have the "bad hair day" look like I've seen on other pics around the net. Could someone have a look at my pics please?

Thanks

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Last edited by Craig Moore; 17-10-09, 04:51 PM.

Hi there, sorry 2 say but your pictures look alot like my Chile Rose. Except my Chile Rose has more pink through her carapace. My Curly Hair (still juvenile) has a general darker colouration with lighter curly hairs.
    Last edited by Doreen Berrie; 17-10-09, 09:16 PM.

Comment

i would tend to agree, i wouldn't go as far as to say it IS a G. rosea but it resembles that closer than the B. Albipolosum you purchased it as. does lack those distinctive "curly hairs" on the legs.
      Wayne.

Comment

on a second look at the pictures i would say it looks quite similar to Grammostola Pulcheripes.
        Wayne.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, after further examination I do believe it to be curly hair - I just need to get a better photo showing the long hairs all over it's legs. My camera is a bit rubbish, will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

* here's a pic from earlier, you can sort of see the dense hairs a bit better on the back legs

Last edited by Craig Moore; 18-10-09, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
            Thanks for the responses, after further examination I do believe it to be curly hair - I just need to get a better photo showing the long hairs all over it's legs. My camera is a bit rubbish, will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

* here's a pic from earlier, you can sort of see the dense hairs a bit better on the back legs

http://img158.yfrog.com/img158/1020/curlysue016.jpg
            I agree with Craig, I don't think she's a Chile Rose, I was very surprised that her carapace looked pink in the photos, she just doesn't look very Curly Hair-ish. Whatever she is though, she loves her burrow. She spent yesterday digging it out and webbing the entrance, and she's been sat in it since!

Comment

as i said above i dont think its a grammostola rosea but i would stick with the grammostola spp. this is only my opinion, i'm no expert lol.
              Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne balcombe View Post
                as i said above i dont think its a grammostola rosea but i would stick with the grammostola spp. this is only my opinion, i'm no expert lol.
                I've been looking through all the grammostolas listed at my bible, (http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/gallery-tarantulas.php) and I don't think she looks like any of them . In normal light the pink on her carapace is orange. She's still in her burrow so we can't get any more pics, going to try feeding her in a bit, will see if we can snap some more photos of her. She might just not be what you'd call a prime example!!

Thanks for all your help though, hopefully more pics to come!

[Edit] I've just checked on her and she appears to be moulting in her burrow!!
                Last edited by Kat Gilbert; 18-10-09, 10:35 AM. Reason: spider is now moulting!

Comment

now this explains alot, she probably didn't look like B.Albopilosum as she was wearing old clothes......................... maybe she will be back to her "curly" self in a few hours lol.
                  Wayne.

Comment

Hopefully so! I dunno, I've been waiting months for my G. spp Concepcion to moult and she's stubbornly refused to do so, we haven't even had the albopilosum 24 hours and she's already on the case! I think I'm going to have to go out for a couple of hours and hopefully when I come back she'll have moulted

Comment

Thanks for your input Wayne, much appreciated. This could get very interesting indeed as the shop in question sold her to me as a sexed female.

Comment

thats probably my biggest bug bear with wholesalers mate alot will lie to you so they can make a sale or they just dont know and tell you what you want to hear.

lets see how she/he turns out when the molt is finished, will this be its maturing molt or does it still have a way to go?
                        Wayne.

Comment

Yeah that is a real pain, it actually happened with my Emilia. "Yes- that's a female." Forked over £50.00 for it and 4 months later it's a mature male. But I must say that even I thought that was female and still got a few months enjoyment from him. In this case I specifically asked "are there any sexed females in the shop?" and was shown this curly hair. For it to then go into moult the very next day and come out male would defo get my back up.

Comment

i've had the same issue with a few i have bought as sexed females and turned out to be MM. i hope you kept the reciept lol.

which shop did you get it from mate?
                            Wayne.

Comment

Yes I still have the reciept - I was digging like mad in the bin for it only to find out that it was still in my car! I bought it from The Living Rainforest in Rhyl.

Comment

Working...
                              X