raising the temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising the temp

hi everyone i need advise on raising the temp in one of my tanks. i have a acanthoscurria geniculata in a tank measuring in inches by the way 20 long by 12 deep by 15 high and the temperature is sitting at 65f and should be 75 to 80f but i dont know what to do to get it there. the only thing i suppose i could try is to either put some polystyrene sheet at the back of her tank or put the heat mat under the tank though i have read this is not such a good idea as the t wont be able to get away from the heat if it gets to warm for her so i do need some help here please thanks everyone.

imo the tank's way too big, all round, especially height wise, it would be big enough to put a divider in, and a lower internal lid within the tank, you'd heat it much easier.

Comment

hi linda i thought that the tank had to be two or three times the size of the spiders leg span and as these t's can grow to seven or so inches in leg span i thought i'd need a tank this size for her although i couldn't find a tank that was lower in height. i seem to remember you saying you have a brazilian white knee linda what size is your tank and where did you get it.

Comment

Hi Vincent, we sure have, we've got a couple of A. Geniculata. That's a pretty big and high tank you've got there as it's floor space they need, not height, you could make that one a 2 spider tank, that's what we usually do. I would have said a 12 x 8 x 8, that's what we've got one of ours in, it's a clearseal, we get them from our local pet shop, the owner takes all the fish items out and lets us have one £10, and we vent the top with an ordinary drill and just use a small weight on the top for stronger T's .

Comment

I've used a roll of thin reflective insulation together with black card and the panels cut from carboard boxes duck taped to three of the outside walls of their faunariums just to make sure that as much heat is contained in the tanks, I leave one side clear for viewing and a panel window cut at the side for the burrowers so I can check on them from time to time, no problems as yet keeping it stable...cork would do the trick though.

Comment

ok linda i'll have to try and sort out this tank size business it seems i still have much to learn. i was going to put her in a 12 by 12 by 12 but didn't think it would be big enough but there you go you learn something new every day. i just got another massage something to do with a friend from you i didn't realise it was here so im just trying to sort that out it's all new to me. thank's for the info linda.

Comment

hi stephen that sounds a good idea only i was gonna try with polystyrene. i was just speaking to linda street and it seems the tank i've got for my t might be a little on the large side so i think i might try sorting out the tank size as well. many thanks for your help stephen it all helps.

Comment

Hi Vincent, to give you some idea, here's a pic of a recent conversion we did, this is a 24"L x 12"H x 12"W, its got a partition in the centre, with two seperate lids of a good weight, to ensure security, and plenty of room to house a couple of good sized T's, all done for a matter of a few bits of scrap laminate chipboard.
                Last edited by Mrs Linda Street; 26-01-10, 07:06 PM.

Comment

looks good linda prehaps i can do the same i'll let you know how i get on. thanks for your help linda.

Comment

Working...
                  X