what heat mat to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what heat mat to use

what wattage of heat mat should i be usein for a tarantula for a breed like smithi (mexican red knee please)

Hi Chris, there's all sorts of things to take into account. Firstly, whether she infact needs a heat mat, if you're keeping her in a warm lounge where the temperature holds good overnight sort of 70F or so, she really doesn't need one. If it does drop cold, it would depend on the size of the tank you're keeping her in, unless it's something huge, which is not necessary for a B. Smithi, then one of the small heat pads, placed on the outside back or side, don't put it underneath, or inside the tank,
    look for a temperature of somewhere about 21-25c

Comment

thanks what sort of wattage tho iv got a 10 will that do

Comment

only a small plastic tank taking on a spiderling

Comment

Hi Chris, yes you can use that, it's not too big as long as she can get away from it, you need to monitor the temp overnight as you can afford to let it drop a bit.

Comment

Ahh, how small a tank, if you're talking big cricket box size then that heat mat will be too big, as you have to be careful not to overheat them, look for a room temp of around 70F, slings are more sensitive they need to be warm but not overheated.

Comment

I don't heat any of my tanks, unless the temperature of the room drops below 70F overnight.

Get a thermometer and keep track on the temps in your house over the next few months. Use a heat mat if you really think you need to, but make sure you don't overheat your spider. Get a thermostat if you really want to provide heat. Expensive, yes, but better than replacing a cooked spider.

Comment

yer only a small tank was thinking thermo switch just in case it gets to cold is a lil drafty n half on half off the tank thus can choose a temp that she likes till i can gage it cheers for ur help

Comment

Working...
                X