Poecilitheria humidity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poecilitheria humidity?

This may seem like a stupid question but being new to poecilitheria sp i wondered how much the tank should be misted in regard to humidity? The sp is P.formosa. The spider has already covered the water dish that was in the tank with silk and dirt, thus making it inaccessible without tearing all the webbing up (which i didnt want to do). I lightly mist 1-2 a week on the opposite side to the T, is this enough or will another water dish be required?

Had to learn the hard way, just how fast these spiders are and dont want to cause undue stress.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

humidity

Originally posted by Mark Harrison View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question but being new to poecilitheria sp i wondered how much the tank should be misted in regard to humidity? The sp is P.formosa. The spider has already covered the water dish that was in the tank with silk and dirt, thus making it inaccessible without tearing all the webbing up (which i didnt want to do). I lightly mist 1-2 a week on the opposite side to the T, is this enough or will another water dish be required?

Had to learn the hard way, just how fast these spiders are and dont want to cause undue stress.
    Hey Mark,
    they mine fill water dish from time to time to but I just remove it, clean it out and refill it. Just make sure the pokie in question is in it hide :P
    As for humidity all my pokies just have a large open water dish which will surffice. I spray them occasionally but isn't neccessary.
    The only exception are my subfusca's as they do better with a little extra humidity so they get misted before becoming dry

Comment

Most Poecilotheria have wet and Dry seasons with some others working on a cool and cooler cycle while some breed better on a photosynthetic cycle.

P formosa is one species which has 2-4 nymphal stages possibly depending on humidity or the lack of it, and is one of the species which breeds on a wet / dry cycle.

Ray

Comment

subfusca

Hey Ray,
        Since ive increased the humidity in my formosa's enclosure she's started webbing up so I might get lucky with a sac and hopefully not moult, just need to wait and see.
        Ive not long mated my lowland subfusca, id be reluctant to dry her up humidity wise, are they a pokie that might be triggered with change's in seasonal temperature rather than humidity? Any advice on conditioning for lowland breeding would be much appriciated.

Thanx

Jamie humidity?

Comment

If the water dish in not dirty and you really don, t want to disturb your T you can always use a syringe without a needle in and you get water into the dish this way. with a little patience that is if the dish is a large one.
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Working...
          X