X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To change or not to change

Hi all,
    Hope everyone had a nice christmas

I got my second T a few weeks back, a B.Smithi - very small and really, really cute. He moulted just before Christmas, and has been enjoying his belated Christmas dinner(s) today

I've got this book (Shultz and Shultz, The Tarantula Keepers Guide) which says the substrate should be changed at least every 12 months or after a moult.

The reason I'm asking is the substrate is only 3 weeks old and I'd rather not disturb him any more than I have to - should I change it or not?
    thanks,
    Mark

Every 12 months!!! Some of my adult spiders are living on the same substrate they had 8 years ago!

I wouldn't suggest changing substrates immediately after a moult. Rehousing spiders disturbs them, you should always do the absolute minimum disturbance. A freshly moulted spider needs time to harden, so these in particular shouldn't be hasseled.

Far better to just pick out prey remains, than change all the substrate. Obviously if the substrate is heavy with mould a complete substrate change will be needed.

Richard

Comment

There's no need to change the substrate unless there is a problem with mould or mites etc. Some of my tanks have not been cleaned out completely for over 5 years - with regular maintainence (removing prey remains etc), cage cleaning can be kept to a minimum.
      Guy...
      www.giantspiders.com

Comment

I havn't seen some of my spiders for years. ( and yes Carl they are still alive)
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

How would you know?

Originally posted by RayHale
          I havn't seen some of my spiders for years. ( and yes Carl they are still alive)
          If you have not seen them for years then how could you possibly know if they were still alive? Don't tell me - they leave a little note by the tank!

Comment

Re: How would you know?

Originally posted by C S Portman
            If you have not seen them for years then how could you possibly know if they were still alive? Don't tell me - they leave a little note by the tank!
            I believe they are all on email now, and just email Ray when they need a bit of grub or a male. Or just ring for a take-away.

Happy new year all
            Mark

P.S See you all in the new year!

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

heehee I have had a chuckle reading your posts all of you! I change my spiders substrate if there is any mould appears or coz i have a new home for it! Sometimes a bit too much now i am reading all your lots replies

Comment

I know they are alive because they eat their food, either that or there is a colony of crickets living at the bottom of their tanks. Ye of little faith Carl

Comment

Now you have gone and done it Carlos.
                  British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                  The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                  On
                  [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I have a Hysterocrates crassipes that I bought from an ad online 3 months ago, it turned up while I was at work and my wife put it in its new home . By the time I got home it had sealed itself in its house, I knew it was in there as i dont know of any crickets that screw themselvs up into a dry little ball and wait in the corner of the tank for me to remove them. Well 2 days ago I finaly saw it. first a couple of legs just peaking out of a hole in the substrate. Then in the middle of the night I went past its tank and saw the whole thing. I wonder if its shy nature was the reason it was being sold ?
                    Ian M

Brachypelma.co.uk updated 22/06/06

Comment

Working...
                    X