dyed maggots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyed maggots

I was sent the wrong order and now have small maggots, some of which are dyed. Would it be ok to fish the undyed ones out and feed those to my slings, or do I have to worry that they might be "contaminated" by the dye.
    And what effect would the dye have on T's anyway?
    Any comment appreciated as my slings are staring at me expectantly with their mouths open.
    Thank you all
    Last edited by ralfkonen; 20-11-09, 06:41 PM.

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

i could be wrong, but i don't think the dye is bad...i've known people that feed them to their spiders with no problems, apparently.
    also, i used the pink ones, and same thing: no probs.
    if i'm wrong, please someone correct me!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Thanks James

Comment

I personally wil not feed the dyed maggots to anything I value. In short term it wil be okay. Those of us who have children wil know what effect dyed food have on the little ones, they turn into ping pong balls. The dyed maggots are for fishing. Natural coloured (no artificial colours) ones make for greate feed hight in fats and protien.
        If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive!

Comment

hm. to feed or not to feed?

Comment

I just wondered, when you said 'sent' were they mail-order? If so where from? I haven't been able to find any companies that send them mail-order and tackle shops are distinctly sparse in Central London!

all best,

chris

Comment

They were sent to the tackle shop. Maybe they forgot to order my undyed and just bagged some others. I had somebody else pick them up for me.

Comment

Chris there are a few tackle shops in central london, there is also a good tackle shop on newington green roundabout if you know the area its on some of the major bus routes through london. 141, 341, 38 etc.
                Wayne.

Comment

i used to go to a tackle shop in south london on lee high road, think it was called Lee Angling.

they sold pink maggots, that were only pink cause of the food they were given, ie they got covered in the same stuff, which i think was corn meal with food colouring, though not sure. never had any troubles, but yeah going along with what Johan says might be best.

Wayne, thanks for info on tackle shops, i've been thinking of getting back into using maggots, and knowing where some are in central london is helpful.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Why dont you breed your own? They are easy to breed, all you need is a couple of flies, some rotting minced meat and a jar. Put the minced meat in the jar and leave it out doors for a couple of days and let nature do her magic. Rins the magots under running water for a few minutes to rid them of their foul stomach content and feed them to your T's. This way you get the best there is.
                    If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive!

Comment

Working...
                    X