Smelly crickets...Safe to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly crickets...Safe to use?

I purchased a new tub of brown crickets Saturday and when i opened the tub i noticed they bloomin stink!

Now i know crickets smell anyway, but this was worse than usual and i wonder if there may be a disease in with them or something? Am i safe feeding them to my T's ? the crickets all look pretty healthy , im wondering if it might have been humidity?

Thanks.

Hi Ryan,
    Youre spot on, high humidity is the cause of bad smell. Rehouse them and let them settle in for a couple of days with mustard greens, parseley, coriander leaves and nastriums to eat and a orange slice to rehidrate them. They are safe to feed to your T's as is just the idea of the smel that put us of.
    If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive!

Comment

Hi Ryan, Johan's just about covered it there, I can only add, don't forget to throw out the piece of egg box, as when that gets damp and soiled that stinks as well.

Comment

We keep our crickets on vermiculite in either Cricket keepers or normal critter keepers with egg crate or loo roll tubes in. It's like cat litter for crickets. Hardly any smell from them and it increases the life of your crickets.

Not sure how or why but it works

Lisa x
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Baines View Post
          We keep our crickets on vermiculite in either Cricket keepers or normal critter keepers with egg crate or loo roll tubes in. It's like cat litter for crickets. Hardly any smell from them and it increases the life of your crickets.

Not sure how or why but it works

Lisa x
          Never thought of that Lisa! Do you use the big chunks of vermiculite or the fine stuff?

Anything that disguises cricket stench is sure to earn me some brownie points

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
          X