Species descriptions the 2nd! Come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species descriptions the 2nd! Come on

There have been a few requests in the last few days for species descriptions. I am relatively new to the hobby, but reading up on the responses and having helped on a translation (re Ornithoctinae) I feel (and I might be wrong) that the "thread starters" might not quite know what it involves.
    I know where they are coming from, though.
    I only started a year ago and only have 7 different spiders (slings)
    But I would love to know what makes my A. geniculata a A. geniculata, or what makes my B. vagans a B. vagans.
    Thank you Stuart Longhorn for telling us about Radan Kaderka's site (www.theraphosidae.cz/taxonomy.htm) I think that is exactly what we "amateurs" need.
    We might wake up one morning, find an exuvium of one of our little friends, examine it under a microscope and think: WOW, i would like to know more.
    A website, like Radan's, with pictures/descriptions of the spider, pedipalps, spermathecae, palpal bulbs without being scientifically "anal" would be great. Of course, somebody "knowledgable" would have to keep an eye on it. (As if you aren't busy enough Phil)
    The bibliography is great for commited arachnologists, but for us mere mortals/amateurs (amateurs (amare: love, meaning lover of the hobby)), it is probably a bit over the top and too time consuming to try and get hold of individual papers. Could such a site be possible/achievable if we all worked together or would it be a waste of time, considering we all are just "amateurs"?
    What do you guys think?

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Originally posted by ralfkonen View Post

....it is probably a bit over the top and too time consuming to try and get hold of individual papers. Could such a site be possible/achievable if we all worked together ...
    something like the purpose of this website?

»ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Fantastisch. Danke Martin
      Now we only need people to contribute. and pictures+++

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Huber View Post
        something like the purpose of this website?

http://tarantula-project.org/index_en.html
        That would be a fantastic (if huge) resource Martin. It looks like the last site update was on the 17/03/2001. Is it still operational?

I can well appreciate the work involved in maintaining such a site though.

My Collection:

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post

Is it still operational?
          not really, it's sleeping since a couple of years. Several people promissed to contribute, but....

But I think, if we will find some who really contribute (not only empty promise) it should be no big deal to reactive it.

Cheers,
          Martin
          »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Working...
          X