Advice needed about flea coller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed about flea coller

Hi,i think one of my dogs may have flea's,i know flea powder can be very dangerous to spiders but what about a flea coller? Has anyone else had this misfortune?
    If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
    the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

In general the best treatment for fleas are the 'spot on' treatments.

Your Pet & You offers you a variety of petcare content, products, reminders and savings to help you provide a better and happier life for your pets.

I don't know the layout of the house and where you keep your T's etc but if you can bar the dog from going near the T's for a couple of weeks all should be fine. We treat our cats on a regular basis and they aren't allowed in the T rooms.
    Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
    Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Permeithrin, which can be in flea collars, will kill any spider fairly rapidly, but as long as you don't get it anywhere near the spiders you will be fine. Avoid sprays which contain it though. You really don't want it to get into the air.

Same with spot-on treatments (Fipronil etc.). We have two dogs, > 200 spiders, and 5 snakes, and we have used Frontline (and another one whose name escapes me at the moment) on the dogs without problems.

I make sure I wash my hands after applying it (which you should do anyway!), and for a few days afterwards if I've been stroking the dogs and intend to feed or maintain the spiders afterwards

My Collection:

Comment

Speaking as a vet I would say definitely be careful with any product designed to eliminate parasites. Most spot on products will be on the dogs surface (skin) for at least 4 weeks. I assume you would have to be particularly careful with spot on preparations that are designed to treat flea larvae in the environment (carpets) which are shed with the dogs skin (dandruff) like stronghold for example. Although I am not sure if pure contact would be enough or if the spider would actually have to ingest the skin particles.
        Interesting question. I will contact the drug company reps and see if they have any information.
        P.S. Though it does not belong here, but since advocate was mentioned: Dont use it on collie- or sheepdog related breeds. (and please stop using dog products on cats)

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks alot for your help guys,dogs had them for a while n i've been putting it off because i know it can be a bit dodgy(just shows u whats more important lol) but dog is scratching and nibbling a bit so i've got to do something,was thinkin of trying that spot-on treatment but might take to the vets.
          Thanks again guys.
          If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to

Comment

update: from the horses mouth (vet at Bayer)
            no actual studies have been done, but the active ingredient in advocate that can harm spiders is absorbed into the blood stream and once the liquid has been absorbed into the skin it should be safe to let your spider loose onto the dog (mean touching your dog and then the spider).
            The other flea treatment by Bayer -advantage- only contains an insectizide, which does not affect arachnids (it does not kill ticks or mites on dogs) and hence can be assumed to be safe with Tarantulas as well. (but of course will not help your dog if it has mites either).

Still trying to get info about the other common products.
            By the way: this is advise only and I am not responsible if your T's die.

Comment

Originally posted by ralfkonen View Post
              update: from the horses mouth (vet at Bayer)
              no actual studies have been done, but the active ingredient in advocate that can harm spiders is absorbed into the blood stream and once the liquid has been absorbed into the skin it should be safe to let your spider loose onto the dog (mean touching your dog and then the spider).
              The other flea treatment by Bayer -advantage- only contains an insectizide, which does not affect arachnids (it does not kill ticks or mites on dogs) and hence can be assumed to be safe with Tarantulas as well. (but of course will not help your dog if it has mites either).

Still trying to get info about the other common products.
              By the way: this is advise only and I am not responsible if your T's die.
              Thats brilliant help cheers mate,i will look into gettin this one

Comment

with regards to frontline, another common anti flea spot on, the merial (manufacturer) vet reports that it will kill spiders on direct contact, but should be safe once it has been absorbed into the dogs skin. The frontline spray should definitely not be used near the vivarium.

Comment

quick update-took dog to vets today-had anal infection and mites,so i had to get the Advocate one-gettin this mrs to do the dogs tho-i'm not touchin the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X