Just wondering.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering.....

I have noticed that all my T's, once caught there dinner, they immediately start spinning web! almost randomly! My pokie is doing it right now, its munching on a cricket whilst walking around in circles,pointlessly webbing stuff together.

Now, if they was repairing broken web at the entrance to there hide, then this would make sense. But they just seem to web up where ever they happen to be at the time of making a catch. -my pokie is miles away from his hide (not literally lol) - Very odd!!

Can anyone explain this?

Originally posted by Ryan Simons View Post
    I have noticed that all my T's, once caught there dinner, they immediately start spinning web! almost randomly! My pokie is doing it right now, its munching on a cricket whilst walking around in circles,pointlessly webbing stuff together.

Now, if they was repairing broken web at the entrance to there hide, then this would make sense. But they just seem to web up where ever they happen to be at the time of making a catch. -my pokie is miles away from his hide (not literally lol) - Very odd!!

Can anyone explain this?

i find that Ts like to wrap the carcass of their dinner up in web when they discard it, i think its just to make housekeeping easier later
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

If you look at spiders in general. webbing prey is something they all do.

i believe this is an automatic feeding response, though thats not to say its without reason, preventing prey items escape may be a factor and as Matt pointed out they all seem to wrap up the pellets that are left over, maybe some way of managing waste.
      Wayne.

Comment

S. and M. Schultz in their brilliant book refer to it as the feeding waltz and hypothesize the reason is to secure the prey or several items of prey before settling down to eat it.

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

My G. rosea does exactly the same thing. I sat there and watched her for ages the other night. Quite mesmerizing!

Comment

in my view i think its just there way of keeping it all together when there mushing it all up to suck the life out of it.

Comment

Working...
            X