Baboon Spider book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baboon Spider book

For anybody who would like to purchase the new book: "A Pictorial Guide to the Baboon Spiders of Southern AFrica" online, you can visit the website at:

The book features members of the Harpactirinae subfamily exclusively.

Front cover:

Thanks.

Nice Job Pat,

space needing reserved on bookshelf methinks
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thank you Colin
      Elaine...what are you getting Colin for Christmas?

Comment

Ah,if only I were ridiculously wealthy. The list of books I'd like to eventually buy is rapidly reaching the value of a cheap house! [not that this volume is over priced mind, more that there's about 50 books I'd like and it grows on a daily basis!]

Definitely added to the book list nonetheless. Do you offer signed copies btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Brown View Post
          Do you offer signed copies btw?
          I can gladly sign a copy for you, but I suspect it might depreciate the value of an otherwise fair book

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gildenhuys View Post
            I can gladly sign a copy for you, but I suspect it might depreciate the value of an otherwise fair book
            Heh, you are too modest kind sir

I'll have to wait until the new year to order, but it's most definitely high on my list of tarantula texts to buy.

Comment

book

Hi Patrick,
              The book looks amazing and I will be ordering one in the new year.
              Would love to get a signed copy if that is possible ?
              Regards,
              Paul

Comment

A similar thread of mine has been removed from another prominent forum, due to "sales" talk, which was not my intention.
                I would like to hear opinions on the book on the forum, and if there are any questions regarding book sales, can I ask Please, send me an email to the address on the website, and I will gladly answer any questions.

I'd hate to see this thread also deleted.
                Thank you in advance

Comment

Sorry Patrick for mentioning the dreaded word "sales"......lol....won't happen again.
                  It is just that we do not get very many books,which look as good as yours on baboons.
                  Can't wait to get my copy
                  Paul

Comment

So, book questions:

What general level is this book aimed at? (I assume interested enthusiast rather than hardcore taxonomist, although generally inclusive to all)

How many species did you encounter whilst researching the book?

I'm quite interested in the ecological stuff mentioned (habitats, locales etc), you must have seen some interesting stuff seeing them first hand.

Could I ask how the book is generally lain out - for example, is it similar to the work of Baerg, as a sort of free flowing account of your experiences/observations + photos, or more strictly defined with separate chapters per region/species/date etc?

Comment

No problem Paul and many thanks for the kind words.

What general level is this book aimed at? (I assume interested enthusiast rather than hardcore taxonomist, although generally inclusive to all)
                      The book is primarily aimed at the South African naturist, who is generally unaware of the diversity and beauty of our local theraphosids. Most people in our country are under the impression that these spiders are big, hairy, ugly, and can possibly kill you...and 9 times out of 10, they are killed on site. So no, it is not aimed at the hardcore taxonomist, but because of the lack of information and visual material on South African theraphosids, I guess some hardcore taxonomists might like to take a look
                      It would definately appeal to anybody who can or does appreciate diversity among members of the Harpactirinae subfamily.

How many species did you encounter whilst researching the book?
                      Because so many species of Harpactira and Harpactirella are poorly documented, it's dificult for me to answer that question. But I would say I have photo documented at least 700 specimens of 100+ "differening" theraphosids from the Harpactirinae subfamily.

I'm quite interested in the ecological stuff mentioned (habitats, locales etc), you must have seen some interesting stuff seeing them first hand.
                      I've been extremely fortunate to have seen some incredible places, and witness some interesting behaviour. South Africa is not a small place.
                      What is interesting, is how many of these "aggressive" species live communally, or cohabitate sympatrically. One thing I have learnt is that (most of) these spiders are not habitat specific.

Could I ask how the book is generally lain out - for example, is it similar to the work of Baerg, as a sort of free flowing account of your experiences/observations + photos, or more strictly defined with separate chapters per region/species/date etc?
                      It is divided into chapters based on the 9 South African provinces, and one general chapter on baboon spiders from Southern Africa, which does extend slightly into central and northern Africa, to accomodate Pterinochilus murinus and chordatus.
                      The introductory page at the beginning of each chapter, gives a brief description of each province, the genera and species from the region, and conservation, if any.

Each of the photo pages concentrates on 1 species(be it regional variant or seperate species), and contains the name of the town/city where the spider was found, and a "ruler" with adult male and female sizes.

Thanks for the questions, and I hope that helps a bit?

Comment

Working...
                      X