a bit concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a bit concerned

hi all just wondered if someone can shed some light on a concern i have. back in august the 15th i got an adult female brazilopelma colloratvillosum and she settled real quick the problem is she only took food for the first week or so. well i dont even see her now it's been about 3 months since she's been out so in all she hasn't eaten and hasn't been out in the open for a long time not even her water gets disturbed. the temps at around the 70 mark drops a little at night and the humidity is between 70 to 85 so i think all's well there. she's alive as i pulled the tank out to make sure she's ok that's the only way of seeing her at the moment but obviously i done that just to make sure all's well with her. am i doing something wrong here or is this normal behaviour for these t's .

I wouldn't worry too much at this time. She sounds like she is in premoult if anything. A couple of things though. Personally, I'd bump the temps up a bit. 70f is a bit on the cold side anyway, let alone with the high humidity levels present. So if the heat pad is under her tank, she could be hugging it for a little more heat.

Also, this species is now known as Nhandu coloratovillosus
    Tarantulas-UK Discussion Forums

Comment

I got the same species around October last year. She adopted her hide, completed blocked up the entrance and we didn't see her until March the following year, she never took food once, nor did she moult.

We put it down to her 'Brumating'. She molted around June this year I think, and she is doing the same thing again.

I'm presuming mine was WC, presuming yours is also.

Nothing to worry about.
      Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
      Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

hi dan the heat pad's on the side of the tank i suppose i could put a smaller pad at the back just to bump it up a liitle more. thanks for your help mate o and thanks for the update as to the name of this species thanks again and have a great christmas.

Comment

hi kurt mine's done exactly the same as yours so that's eased my worry's a bit. im still learning about tarantula's kurt so to be honest im not to sure what you mean when you say yours is wc all i know is she's doing the same as yours. thank's for your help though kurt have a great christmas mate.

Comment

Vincent,

A couple of initials you will come across in the hobby are WC and CB.

WC - Wild caught. a specimine that has been collected from its natural habbitat in the wild and sold into the hobby.

CB - Captive bred. does what it says on the tin, specimines that are bred in captivity.

hope this has shed some light on Kurts message.
            Wayne.

Comment

cheers wayne something else i've learnt. im not sure if she's wild caught or captive bred. have a nice christmas wayne.

Comment

Your welcome mate.

the majority of Nhanu colouratovillosus i've seen on the market are captive bred but without knowing where the spider came from originally theres know way of knowing for sure.

i would agree with dan about bumping the temperature up a few degrees, you will find that spiders become more active at optimum temperatures. If you intend on using another heat mat i'd advise you purchase a thermostat thats designed for use with matts so you can regulate the temperature. the other thing you may want to try is insulating the tank by taping a sheet of polystyrene onto the back of the heat mat so the heat is directed strait into the tank, ideally you want a daytime temp of 74-78 degrees and a drop to 70-74 at night.

Merry Xmas Vincent and keep us updated on your spiders progress. this is one of my favourite New Worlds.
                Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne balcombe View Post
                  Vincent,

A couple of initials you will come across in the hobby are WC and CB.

WC - Wild caught. a specimine that has been collected from its natural habbitat in the wild and sold into the hobby.

CB - Captive bred. does what it says on the tin, specimines that are bred in captivity.

hope this has shed some light on Kurts message.
                  Thanks Wayne.

Have a good Christmas all!
                  Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
                  Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

cheers wayne already have polystyrene on the back of the mat same with all the others. i might try what tou said or use the oil filled radiator to warm the whole room a little more thank's again mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X