Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiderling care

hi,
    i found myself with a spare enclosure over christmass so went out today and bought the nececaties, i readyied the tank for a tarantula to move in and was going to move my rosea but decided she is fine where she is and moving her would be a waste of time and cause unneccesary stress for her so decided to get a new t. Bills due in jan so dont have enough to get a juv or an adult so was considering getting a spiderling... i never had one before so was just wandering how to go about it. can i put it straight in the big tank or should i start with smaller enclosures? can i feed it the same medium to lage crickets my other t's eat? i would like a not to agresive bacause im still learning so i stick to the more docile sp. for now. i had my eye on a chilie flame or mexican red rump. be gratefull for any advice on spiderlings.. thanx.
    Last edited by Mark Shingleton; 02-01-10, 06:21 PM.

hi mark,
    when i got into the hobby, i was worried about the care of spiderlings as well. i was in a similar position to you. not enough money for an adult, and no knowledge on the care of slings. i have not been in the hobby very long, but found it not as daunting of a task as i thought.i found that exoticfauna.com has a wonderful "crash course" in article form. as far as enclosures go, a large tank is not the way to go. it is harder to monitor them and they have a much harder time finding there food. the size container you need greatly depends on the species. many containers that are suitable are also relatively cheap. the size food that is given to a sling is also very important. i never offer anything larger in legspan than the body of the spider. pinhead crickets usually work well. there are other prey items out there, although i have not used them. the redrump is a great choice. i have found them very easy to care for.
    my tarantulas
    001 A. seemani 010 A. avicularia 001 B. auratum 001 B. smithi 001 C. bechaunicus 100 C. huahini 001 C. cyaneopubescens 001 C. crawshayi 002 E. murinus 112 G. rosea 010 H. albostriatum 010 H. lividum 001 H. maculata 001 L. violaceopes 001 L. parahybana 100 N. chromatus 010 P. cancerides 001 P. fasciata 010 P. rufilata 001 P. striata 001 P. cambridgei 010 P. irminia001 P. murinus 001 P. lugardi 001 S. calceata 001 T. violaceus

Comment

thanx for that, think i got a good idea of what to do now, i saw a few pics as i looked around different links of the small tubs, i have loads of little tubs about 18cm by12cm, about 5cm high... i think ill keep it in here untill its ready for the tank.also one of the sites said summet about getting maggots from a fishing shop, never thought of that. saw a pic of Cyclosternum fasciatum ( costa rican tiger rump) on spider shop.co.uk and think thats what ill get, love the colours. thanx again
      Last edited by Mark Shingleton; 31-12-09, 01:02 AM.

Comment

i looked at a few care sheets for the c. fasciatum and the are all differant, they have the same temp and humidity but some say they docile and others say experts only, which is it?

Comment

C.fasciatum don't tend to be too aggressive, they are just very fast in my experience.

Very fast growers though.
          Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
          Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
          X