Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With I.D of a few T's

Hi All
    I have had a couple of T's in my collection i havent been sure of the correct latin names for and have just got a couple more from rescue center so thought i would add pics and ask for your help
    Ok first up is a T brought from BTS show a few yrs ago and had A.S on the tub so what do you think it is an
    Acanthoscurria Suina Or Sternalis ?

Next up is 1 i picked up from the rescue center this week and was labeled up as a Bolivian White Knee so which 1 is it i have a A.Geniculta and doesnt look the same so what do you think ?

Ok will keep it to 2 T's per post as seem long otherwise lol

Aarons Collection:

Couple more

Ok next we have a couple of Grammostola's which i'm unsure of correct names
    First is what i have labeled up as a Grammostola Argentinsis what do you think ?

Next is another Grammostola was labeled as Grammostola Ssp 'Argentinean Golden Yellow' now to me both these T's look very similar again what do you think ?

2 more Grammostola's coming up

Aarons Collection:

Comment

more

Ok now the first 1 i'm sure i have correct name for but would like confirmation.
      It was labeled G . Aureostriata when i brought it and i now understand its a G . Pulchripes am i correct ?

Next is what i have labeled as Grammostola Ssp Red Phase
      any Idea's ?

Last 2 next

Aarons Collection:

Comment

last 2

Ok this is the last 2 i dont know the correct latin names both were collected this week from a rescue center first is a brachypelma and was labeled as a Mexican Fire Leg

ok last 1 may be a little small to identify at the moment but thought i'd ask anyway was labeled as 'Unknown'

Thanx for looking hope you can help

Aarons Collection:

Comment

HI aaron,

Well, im glad that you are trying to work them out. It would be nice if people would keep details of what they were bought as, but useful info like that often seems to b lost along the way.

Really, some of us will do the best we can from a photo of the whole spider, but what would also be REALLY useful is after the moult, look inside the absomen of the cast skin for a spemathecae (females only), and share with us all a photograph of that. Th structure of that organ can be really helpful to make an identification. Hopefully a quick search here will reveal what a 'spemathecae' is, if you dont know.

Right.
          1). Very much an Acanthoscurria sp. To me it looks more like what is sold in the hobby as A.sternalis than others. The hobby A.suina are generally plainer, but its a tough call. Im only about 85% sure.
          2) much more like Nhandu colloratovillosus than anything else (sometimes wrongly written as colloratovillosum). Looks superficially like A.geniculata, but i have seen a fair few now. It seems they have been sold under the name bolivian white knee sometimes, though i thought they were brasilian. Im about 98% sure there.
          3). sure looks like a Grammostola, 99% sure. There is [currently] no such thing as 'argentinesis', but there was a Grammostola sp 'argentina' sold for a while, that i think some corrupted to 'G.argentinensis' [note there is an old species called G.argentinesis that 'no longer officially exists']. From what i remember it had slight yellow bands, and there is a species like that in the photograph on Guy Tansleys website, which i would trust corresponds to the species traded as 'G. argentinensis', or G.sp 'argentina. 70% guess. I think its a reasonable guess, though G. sp (poss. 'argentina/argentinensis') would maybe be best.
          4) I wouldnt like to guess, but i would also say Grammstola is a good guess. Could well be the same species as above. Curious if it gets more banding on the patella (knees) after a moult. Else, species sold as 'G.fossor' or 'G.mollicoma' are worth looking into.
          5). You are fine i think with 'the species formally called G.aureostriata', though there are potentially two very close looking species, one is very rarely in the hobby if at all now. The currnt species in the pettrade as G.aureostriata is now called G.pulchripes, so 97% sure on that id.
          6) Definate Grammostola, probably chilian, I would go right now with G.rosea RCF, as i think its one of the chilian imports, red color form (RCF), currenly sold as Grammostola rosea RCF. 95% sure.
          7) Brachypelma boehmei, 1,000000% sure. Unless it gets alot of black in the centre of the carapace, then i'll have to eat my words.
          Yes, too young. but, to me it could well be one of the redrumped Brachypelma species 65% 'educated' guess, such as those sold as B.vagans.. time will tell... but then maybe you still wont get an id on those, its a messy group.

Ok, hopefully a nudge in the right direction. Also, please say 'scientific names' not latin names, as such official names can be latin,greek, or some other combination., also the species name is totally written in lowercase, while the genus name starts with an uppercase letter.. ie Brachypelma boehmei. That difference allows unfamiliar people to know which part is a genus (Group) name, and which is a species name..

hope you get some more usful answers here, 'im not so familiar with the Grammostola's, so i hope you get confirmation of those...
          British Tarantula Society
          My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Hi Stuart
            Thanks for a very informative reply and i knew that latin names wasnt correct but for the life of me couldnt think of the term i wanted until i read your post I also had a feeling i was writing them wrong but didnt think to ask how the correct way was lol.
            I have a recent molt of the Grammostola rcf so will try and get some pics up later the others i havent got a recent molt so when i get 1 will add pics aswell.
            Ok so
            1 Acanthoscurria sternalis 85% i did think it looked more like the sternalis as in pics i have seen the suina has more markings on the knee's.
            2 Nhandu coloratovillosus (brazilian White Knee) 98% i have looked at a few pics now and i'm now pretty sure that i now have the correct name for this 1 so thanks alot its next to my A geniculata and to me looks completely different.
            3 and 4 i have been looking at alot of late and to me they are both the same species they are of similar size and colour and were brought at the same time from different stalls again at the BTS show a few years ago.
            5 G pulchripes 97% so again now happy that i have correct name.
            6 G rosea RCF 95% again happy with that but now wondering if the first T i got which is labeled as G rosea is correct may add pics to check soon lol.
            7 Brachypelma boehmei 100% again happy with that.
            8 I thought was a bit small to tell it does look a bit like a Brachypelma as you say will wait and add pics as he/she grows.

Thanks again Stuart has helped alot

Aarons Collection:

Comment

if you are gonna go for brachypelma on the last T, due to the carapace i would put forward the suggestion of either brachypelma albiceps or brachypelma shroederi (if thats how you spell it, never am quite sure) simply because that coulouring looks like how my albiceps and shroederi go when in pre molt. too young a spider to tell really. if it is one of my suggestions, albiceps will have a red rump when it gets bigger, shroederi will have a black rump, both with a golden coloured carapace. hope this helps
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

oh and with regard to the b.boehmei, my friend has chucked the suggestion of aphonopelma bicoloratum into the equation, which i have told him is rubbish, i own a couple boehmei and i have to aggree with that conclusion.
                THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Hi Matthew and thanx for your input been looking at a few pics on the net and looking at them and the T in question and it does look alot like a Brachyplema schroederi so has been put in the list of possible's
                  cheers
                  Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

i thought the Bolivian whiteknee job looked a bit like Nhandu carapoensis?
                    i could be wrong, but my old N coloratovillusus's looked more like A genic (although only superficially) then that...
                    but given Stuart knows much much more than me...it's more likely i am wrong but you can check the BTS Theraphosidae gallery in the menu above the main forum...there are nice pics of most of those there, i think. it's my first port of call when i'm in doubt
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                      i thought the Bolivian whiteknee job looked a bit like Nhandu carapoensis?
                      i could be wrong, but my old N coloratovillusus's looked more like A genic (although only superficially) then that...
                      but given Stuart knows much much more than me...it's more likely i am wrong but you can check the BTS Theraphosidae gallery in the menu above the main forum...there are nice pics of most of those there, i think. it's my first port of call when i'm in doubt
                      Hi james
                      Thanks for your input but having looked at pictures in the gallery on here and other websites i feel the N carapoensis looks alot darker and doesnt have such prominent white knees that i can see in the pics where as the N coloratovillusus pictures do look very similar to the T i have here.
                      cheers
                      Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

hmm i had to look pretty hard to see the alternate leg striping, but yeah the leg colour does look a bit less "solid" and a tad more "banded" now i look on the laptop. i thought the legs didn't look banded at all when i looked at the pics before...must've been the monitor. fair enough!
                        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Its ok mate all oppinions welcome tbh i had looked at so many pics before askin they were all starting to look the same lol

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Hi all following on from ID'ing these T's and wot Stuart said in his first post

Really, some of us will do the best we can from a photo of the whole spider, but what would also be REALLY useful is after the moult, look inside the absomen of the cast skin for a spemathecae (females only), and share with us all a photograph of that. Th structure of that organ can be really helpful to make an identification. Hopefully a quick search here will reveal what a 'spemathecae' is, if you dont know.

so i have these pics from the G.rosea RCF last molt which was a few weeks old by the time i got round to takin pics
                            First the spider in question

Then the molt

Ok now i have guessed this is a female as had it a while but if you can also confirm this from pics would be great
                            Cheers Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Working...
                            X