Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intensive Care Unit (ICU)

One and All -

Because of the number of queries on this and other forums and message boards about the construction and use of an Intensive Care Unit (ICU), I have intended for a long time to post a webpage on them. Well, I finally got around to it. Please visit http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/icu10.html to read it. Constructive criticisms are always welcome.
    The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Thank you Stanley, very informative article there and i'm sure if any of our keepers have not already added this simple but life-saving item to there "tarantula emergency kits" they soon will.

I have utilised the ICU set up a few times now, luckily though not with any of my own collection but with spiders belonging to friends and a local pet store, so far it has worked a treat and has had immediate results with spiders going from a complete death curl to active and aggresive within a couple of hours, in every case where this has been successful i have whitnessed the spider drinking (physically dipping its mouth parts into the wet kitchen towel) and even "chewing" the towel as strength returns.
    Wayne.

Comment

a great read, Stanley...thanks!
      lots of good information there
      i'm incidentally one of the crazy ones to water a tarantula daily by holding it upside down (she was nearly immobile) and watering her mouth directly. she is a Chilobrachys andersoni ...and she now has an eggsack (obviously from a subsequent mating, to be clear)
      the things we do for these spiders hehe
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks. I recently had to build an ICU but couldn't find an awful lot of info on it because a lot of it contradicted other articles etc.
        Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
        Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
        X