is it possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible

Is it possible to breed L.klugi with L.parahybana.
    Would never dream of trying but just curious.

It is possible to crossbreed with different species from the same Genus but it is morally, ethically, scientifically wrong IMO.

You just need to look at the Brachypelma vagans/albopilosum fiasco to see why it is an issue. Too many of these crossbreeds floating around in the hobby and being bred willy nilly, diluting the purity of the two species, now no-one seems to know if what they have is the pure vagans or not. An absolute waste if you ask me.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
      It is possible to crossbreed with different species from the same Genus but it is morally, ethically, scientifically wrong IMO.

You just need to look at the Brachypelma vagans/albopilosum fiasco to see why it is an issue. Too many of these crossbreeds floating around in the hobby and being bred willy nilly, diluting the purity of the two species, now no-one seems to know if what they have is the pure vagans or not. An absolute waste if you ask me.
      Elaine
      You beat me to it!

Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I have no plans to cross breed as I said in my first post
        Just thought it was a good question to which I did not have the answer.
        Thanks all.

Comment

No problem Paul, I didnt think you were suggesting cross breeding . Its a valid question and one we get asked a lot. Because of the simpler bulb structures of Theraphosids in comparison to the " true spiders" some can cross breed.

Ray
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On
          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

From what I have researched and bred (BTS article to be published) I doupt if this is possible.

I have bred Lasiodora parahaybana, klugi, striatipes and difficilis, I had French and German males, and 3 females one of which was German, only the German male would mate with the German female, the other combinations of klugi males with females resulted in either the male not being interested-not initiating courtship or the female being very aggressive or not responding to courtship (from what I can remember), male and female pairings with the other species had no problems.

I was also told that male Lasiodora would only mate with females of the same species (or maybe colony), all the L parahaybana come from 3 eggsacs so all closely related so maybe why there is no problem breeding these as I found with L. klugi, but then again i did not try to cross breed.

Hope this helps

Ray

Comment

Wish i could cross bread a p.metallica with a T.blondi tho... Come on, imagine a owning 1foot p.metallica :P

Sorry couldn't help myself!

Comment

Mary Walters and I tried to breed from my female L. klugi with her male (of the same species). Nothing happened, they stayed motionless and after leaving my klugi with Mary for a few months there was no visible interaction. Mary had mentioned Ray's experience with the German L. klugi so perhaps there's localised differences with this species.

@Elaine, I can't help thinking about our conversation with small and large form versicolor. But in general I'd have thought the hybridising of Avics is much more commonplace.
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                  @Elaine, I can't help thinking about our conversation with small and large form versicolor. But in general I'd have thought the hybridising of Avics is much more commonplace.
                  I wont even go there Pete, I would be moderated lol.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                    But in general I'd have thought the hybridising of Avics is much more commonplace.
                    By people just going on the ID from a "petshop" is the worse case scenario. Saying this - everybody should have a chance to widen their hobby knowledge by having a go at breeding, just need to make sure they have "what it says on the tin"

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
                    I wont even go there Pete, I would be moderated lol.
                    Yes sweetheart...... you would
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

i have had problems in the past with Ts which i though to be vagans which were actually sterile cros sbreeds of vagans and sabulosum, damn irritating, its with species like these that are very similar looking that people need to take care. maybe a sticky thread detailing the visual differences between the brachypelma red rumps may be beneficial to novice breeders, as i think the hybrid i had was done by accident by someone not realising they had 2 different species
                      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                      X