• Show
Clear All

• Baboon Spiders book review

Book review:
    Baboon Spiders of Southern Africa - A Pictorial Guide
    by Patrick Gildenhuys
    Publisher: Cadiz street Publishing
    December 2009

December 31 I received a package from South Africa, just before I was going to leave to head to friends for new years. I could not fight temptation and opened the package. Sure enough out came a hardcover copy of the Pictorial Guide by Patrick Gildenhuys. OK, only time for a little peek inside. All I can say is WOW! beautiful printing!

Ok, now I have had a bit more time to read the book and as Patrick asked me to give an honest review, here we go!

As said above the printing is beautiful. not only are the photos in focus, Patrick took the trouble to photograph all the diffrent spiders on the same substrate. this way you can really see all the little color nuances. Personally i never knew the diversity in the tarantulas of South Africa was so great. the book not only shows species i have never seen, there are whole genera never seen in the hobby.

every chapter deals with an South African province, the habitat and the various species known from there. And in this come a big difficulty for Patrick.
    without researching all the original type specimens you can't be sure with what species you are dealing with. Patrick dealt with this by naming uncertain identifications just as sp. So expect a load of Harpactira sp, Harpactirella sp and so on.

in conclusion, for who is this book?
    this is no "Tarantula keepers guide" nor an "identification guide" but just as what it is called a Pictorial guide. the perfect supliment to the Baboon Spider publications by Andrew Smith and A.S. Dippenaar-Schoeman.
    a jewl in the bookcase of every tarantula enthousiast. and as this is all about the photographs, i wanted the best version out there: the hard cover edition.

Patrick, thank you for taking the time to introduce the rest of the world to the tarantulas of South Africa, this really is a book to be proud of!

Eddy

more info on the book, the author and ordering:
    Last edited by Ray Hale; 18-01-10, 07:13 PM.

I managed to see a copy of this book at the BTS Commitee meeting on Saturday. Excellent is all I can say. The photography is second to none and although I didnt read much of the text the guy knows what he's talking about. It ain't cheap but it will be an invaluable addition to your collection in years to come.

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

This is starting to sound more and more tempting
      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Sent out an order for myself.

Comment

I've just completed my review of this new book; to be published in a future BTS Journal. I don't intend to post it up online, so watch out for it in a future issue of the journal

Cheers,
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X