Mouldy sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouldy sling

My baby Brachypelma verdezi appears to be mouldy. I think she was mouldy when I bought her (well over a month ago) - but I didn't notice until the following day, when I realised how sopping wet her tub was and looked very closely at her abdomen. It had white hairs that didn't look like tarantula hairs. (That will teach me about not inspecting purchases very carefully - while still in the shop). But she has maybe a 1.5 or 2 inch leg span so it is hard to see immediately.

I moved her to drier quarters, with a tiny dish of water supplied. The white growths immediately disappeared and was fine for weeks. However, in the last couple of days I have noticed more growth. Her tub isn't bone dry but it is very dry all the same.

For all the time I've had her she hasn't eaten, but she doesn't seem weak and is still quite plump. I hoped she'd shed her skin but she hasn't. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I can do to help her that I'm not doing already? I'd like to give her the best chance I can, even if it is small.

Hi
    it maybe that there are some spores present in her enclosure.
    i would move her to fresh quarters, dry vermiculite and a water dish.
    you could try wiping the mould off with dry cotton buds, can be tricky on a small specimen.
    i would also keep her away from other specimens.
    marie
    Brachypelma.co.uk

Comment

Mnay years ago I had an Aphonopelma seemanni that had a mould growth on its abdomen. I wiped it off with a cotten bud but it still returned. I was then recommended a substance by a young lady that she had found in America.
      It is a substance called "Benlate" and is basically an insecticide free fungicide. I eventually found it in a garden centre. I do not know if you can still get it.
      Now, I am not suggesting weall rush out and buy fungicide. I stress that this was INSECTICIDE FREE and that my spider was in a bad way and I had nothing to loose. It worked and the spider survived for some years after.
      Innitially I would change the substrate with a dryer one and monitor her. Spiders have a habit of moulting when moved to new premises so you may be lucky. Hope this helps.

Ray Hale
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have just googled for Benlate and it seems it has been withdrawn from the market - for killing plants! I will look out for any fungicides that state they are insecticide free (or look up the chemical contents) and I'll let everyone know if I find out anything useful. In the mean time, I will change her accommodation again - she's been in this one for some weeks now.

Comment

Hi
          i have had a look around and there is some info on guy tansleys site. giantspiders.com
          under common ailments.
          hope this helps.
          marie
          Brachypelma.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X