Costa Rica Zebra (Aphonopelma seemani)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James Box View Post
    very strange to have a Haplopelma aureostriata being sold as a seemanni though.
    Indeed, James... I don't expect any seller to be able to identify all tarantulas, but if they could at least get the continent right, that would be nice.
    Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
    "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

I will not divulge where "as the names would have to be changed to protect the innocent", I will say however that I saw the ad on another forum, and the guy had a lot of T's for sale, also had good customer feedback so I thought why not!! Good job it didn't have a nasty side though, as the wife unpacked it thinking it was the seemanni .... Have just got back from work to see that a whole of webbing has gone on , and it seems to be webbing itself in its flower pot !!! mmmmmmmm !! Any more info and guidance relating to my T would be great, thanks to you all so far : )
      My Collection:

Comment

well mistakes can happen to the best of us...
        at least it's a nice enough T. maybe talk to Peter about the seemanni thingy he's selling
        Last edited by James Box; 26-01-10, 03:12 PM.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

This might help.

Ray
          Attached Files
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On
          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Cheers Ray for the pic, mine is still juvenile then looking at the markings on the picture you provided. To James looks like I will have to put this one down to experience... Nevermind though, like Peter said you don't see many around (not sure if that's good or bad lol!)
            My Collection:

Comment

I entirely agree it is not Aphonopelma seemanni (or Aphonopelma sp) for sure, as for example, it doesnt have urticating hairs on the abdomen.

I entirely agree its not Ephebopus murinus... for several reasons.

So, i think everyone has pointed in the right directions with an asian species like Haplopelma albostriatum.... albo=white , striata/um=stripes...

regards
              British Tarantula Society
              My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Again thanks to everyone for your info on this, it has now settled into its enclosure is eating well and webbing loads.... All's well !!!
                My Collection:

Comment

whoa

Hey Dave,

Uh oh! I'm glad u posted this because I bought what I think is a Costa Rican Zebra almost a decade ago. She's gorgeous but she does not look the way you described her species to be. She looks like this:

I still love her tho
                  009 loves spiders!

Comment

Mad isn't it... So now you have had her for nearly a decade (i take it she is well and healthy ??) How do you house her??
                    My Collection:

Comment

Kathleen,

What about yours doesn't fit with A.Seemanni ? Are you meaning it doent have a tan underside and tan spinnerets? Often, and especially here colour isn't a good guide to identification. More pics from different angles would help if you want us here to give an opinion on its id... but that would just be opinion if from photograph alone.

s
                      British Tarantula Society
                      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

I have her in a large aquarium with several inches of peat moss and potting soil. She has a bark burrow and some plants. She is a digger And she seems very healthy. She's quite plump. Since her last moult she seems a bit more fiesty.
                        009 loves spiders!

Comment

Stuart,

I wasn't suggesting she doesn't fit in, I was just providing a pic for possible reference
                          009 loves spiders!

Comment

Working...
                          X