T. Apophysis sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. Apophysis sling

Just thought for any recent new members who may not have seen an Apophysis sling, at the moment I'm bringing on 3 from the same eggsac, like Wayne, these are half way between 2nd & 3rd instar and grow amazingly quick, note the little pink socks

These are great little spiders, so for any one thinking they want one i'd say go for it, the transformation from 1st to 2nd instar was amazing they basically doubled in size and i was fortunate enough to whitness 2 of them in the moulting process which i was quite pleased about as i always seem to be at work or in bed when any of my spiders moult.

Since moulting and starting feeding againd their appetite has grown as much as they have and are eating size 2-3 black crickets with no problems, they are so bold and confident for such young slings and its so much fun watching them hunt and catch food, they are like little streaks of brown lightning with pink skates on lol.

i will be starting a breeding project with T.apophysis as i have a sub adult female that i plan on sourcing a male for when she's ready as any male i have from these 3 slings will still be to young when she is ready.

i'd love to see more captive bred Theraphosa's in the hobby, i for one will be doing my best to add some.
    Wayne.

Comment

Nice sling Linda
      I also have T.apophysis sling that has molted today and has doubled in size its my second T.apphysis to replace the M Male that died late last yr i love these spiders and hope to have a female at some point as my male wen mature looked amazing

Aarons Collection:

Comment

I can only echo what Wayne has said, the little on in the pic is already on catching prey, killing, placing it on the ground, webbing it, and then hoisting it up to eat, just like a miniture adult, at such an early age, it even turns around and flicks when you open the lid. I would also add that it's so satisfying, watching these grow to into giants, in a relatively short time. I've got two others which are 1 year older than the slings, I'll put them on below.

Aaron, keep us all posted on the progess of yours.

Comment

This one's about 14 months on from the sling and has certainly a 7-8" leg span, this one is a male , but the other one is it's sister , which is due to moult in the next few days. These are not the Blondi sisters, but the Apophysis brother and sister, but they all seem to be moulting around the same time, and all are satisfying to watch grow into giants.

Comment

Hi i will deff keep you all posted on my little T.apop sling here's apic of it before yesterday's molt will try an get new pic soon

and 1 of my mature male it is amazing how these grow and act like an adult from such a young age

The male was 8.5" when he died and i still have his body in my freezer lol
            Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Such a beautiful species of tarantula. It's really interesting to see the difference in the sling, juvie and aldult stages. And that mature male is just stunning!

Comment

Cheers Matt it was a sad day when he died he was sposed to be going out on loan
                Ok i got a couple of pics of my new sling since molting

and 1 of the molt it was 4cm ish and is now 5.5-6cm again ish they are a pain to measure lol

I hope its ok posting so many pics i do enjoy taking and sharing them
                Aaron
                Last edited by Aaron Annal; 28-01-10, 06:48 PM.

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Great pics Aaron, I can see we've got a T. Apophysis appreciation society going lol

Comment

cheers linda they deserve the thread love the species

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Hi linda, ive also got a sling t. apophysis, ive currently got it on deep vermiculite in a little pet box, but your way seems much more efficient on wet paper towels. Can you tell me how you keep them? Ive had trouble finding infomation on them on the net, how often do you mist the paper towels or change them?

By the way, what are those blood red marks on the bottom photo of AJA2009, on the Palpal bulb and the fangs?

Thanks
                      B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

Comment

Hi Sagar, I've brought up quite a lot of T Apophysis and T Blondi from their first moult, and on to adults. If you use re-useable paper towels, two or three thicknesses, cut to size, put them in the bottom of the tub, and then keep them moist all the time, they don't need any other water at that stage, and they are able to catch their prey with ease and without taking up the substrate. When the paper towels are soiled, about 5-7 days simply replace it. I leave them on that until 4-5th moult, and then change the towels for eco-earth. Try to offer them food daily, they usually take it, and I think it's important for them to be well fed at the start of their life.

Comment

thanks for the reply, thats what i would have thought but it fed 2 days ago and since has shown no interest in food. i will see how it goes with this method
                          B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Comment

by the way, what tem do you keep your slings at? I bought another heat mat today which should raise the temp up to about 85f, its currently been at about 75f
                            B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Comment

Originally posted by sagar jason nigam View Post
                              By the way, what are those blood red marks on the bottom photo of AJA2009, on the Palpal bulb and the fangs?

Thanks
                              Hi sagar the red fangs and pedipalps in the pic are because it had recently molted and hadn't hardened off yet

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Working...
                              X