newbie help and advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie help and advice?

would just like to say hi all, was awoke yesterday morning by my dad stood on my doorstep holding a small glass tank containing a goreous little chilean rose female, she looks in great condition as far as i can see and seems to be happy in her suroundings, whowever i have an unused fish tank which is several times larger than the case she is in as its prob only 12"x6"x6". i have read thast a large tank can stress her out? can anyone advise if this is the case as i would of thought she would prefer a bit more room and the addition of say half a plant pot as a hideout? also will prob be posting more questions as a lot of internet info seems to conflict so your patience and help much appreciated!

hi
    it depends on the size of the spider.
    Personally i house adults in tanks 12" x 11" 11" deep. juveniles/ sub adults 8"x11" 11" deep.
    i provide hides for all of mine, also cork bark for climbing.
    lots of people keep them in smaller tanks, depends on the space available i guess, as long as the spider has room to move freely and some where to hide/burrow, then should be ok.
    marie
    Brachypelma.co.uk

Comment

Hi will777 and welcome to the BTS forum. Please feel free to ask any questions and dont worry how basic they are. We were all beginners once and we have learnt what we know by talking to others. We are here to help.

Ray
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

hi ray thanks for the welcome, would you advise putting a small hideout in her tank as i know brachygirl does with her spiders but it does seem a small space and im reluctant to make it any smaller? thanks again.

Comment

Tarantulas are opportunist feeders and if the tank is too large they will wait for the cricket to wander by. I keep most of my spiders in smallish tanks with a deep substrate and a piece of bark or half a plant pot buried in it. Chile Rose are not great burrowers. I just find it easier and if you have a large collection space becomes paramount. The tank you have is ok. If she gets much bigger then move her into a larger one. Hope this helps.
          Ray
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On
          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

HI,

Welcome to the BTS.

WHat heating have you been advised for your Chiile?

Ray G

Comment

heating?

hi ray, have been told i wouldnt need any heating for her as we have central heating which comes on twice a day and keeps the house at a pretty steady temp, also i have been told she will stop eating if she gets too cold? she had about 5 crickets in the tank with her of which only one remains so im guessing she wont feed for a week or so? thanks again for any advice.

will

Comment

Hi Will,

Just what i was going to suggest

Ray

Comment

pics

im will sort some some pics of her out and the set up so if you wouldnt mind having a quick look, also i know she has eaten a few crickets a day or so ago but cant seem to find any left overs which i understand should be removed from her tank, the substrate hides it very well but do they ever bury the remains as i dont want a build up of leftover crickets for obviouse reasons?

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X