Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed

I just realised I have been posting in the chat room sorry all
    I got a chilean rose from a local reptile shop, sold as an adult, in December ate ok at first stopped eating at the begining of Jan. It has now turned on its back and is completly still, I hope it is starting to moult. Forgive my ignorance but I have the following questions
    1 How long does a moult take ?
    2 Does it start around the fang area ?
    3 Should I mist the tank ?
    Thanks Neil

Hi, It's moulting...My Grammostola sp concepcion took about 9 hours from back flip to new spider. However time can vary species to species. If you search this forum you will find everything you need to know as I'm not 100% on some things myself. I sat and watched mine all day, facinating animals!

Comment

T moulted last night seems fine

Comment

Hi Neil,
        you may have watched it happen already, but i believe the first thing that occurs is the old carapace pops up, and the spider starts to push its way out of the exuvium (old skin) through the hole.
        i don't know if misting is necessary, but it probably won't hurt, though theis species appreciates drier conditions. the spider will almost definitely be thirsty, however, and will appreciate some water in a dish if it's like mine
        they use up alot of moisture in their bodies to moult, so it is easy for them to get dehydrated afterwards.
        you may know this already, so apologies if so, but just including for completeness:
        wait til her fangs are black again and then feed her, she should be fairly ravenous in a week or two after moulting, depending on size and age.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for your sound advice
          Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neil padley View Post
            ... I got a chilean rose from a local reptile shop, sold as an adult, ...
            Neil, I'm making an assumption here based on your posting. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I'm assuming this is your first tarantula. So,

Welcome to the hobby! And, welcome to this forum!

Now, please read the following:

Stan's Rant at: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html

Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula at: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Enjoy your newfound, 8-legged, little wonder!
            The Tarantula Whisperer!
            Stan Schultz
            Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
            Private messaging is turned OFF!
            Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Thanks all for your advice most appreciated
              Neil

Comment

Working...
              X