Scorpion identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpion identification

I hope this isn't too far off-topic on the tarantula board.

I had been keeping a pair of Heterometrus sp that I obtained from a BTS show several years ago. They turned out to be the best display/demonstration scorpions I've ever encountered, being very visible, consistently calm and predictable and showing no inclination either to sting or to pinch. They have now both expired and I'd very much like to find more of the same species (realising of course that temperament and behaviour varies between individuals).

I'm hoping someone would be able to identify the species from a dead specimen. Would anyone be willing and able to have a go?

No problem on the post Mick. With regards to the species Im afarid I cannt help. There is an excellent book called Scorpions of medical Importance ( google it) There ae some excellent drawings of Heterometrus species in there.

Hope this helps

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I've been hunting for general information on scorpions lately, and found this site http://www.messcorpions.com/En/heter...%20sp%20en.php, which might help you. I can't say whether it's correct or not but it looked like a useful resource to me. I'm sure I came across something else about commonly kept Heterometrus species and how to tell the difference, but I can't remember what it was now. It's worth a bit of googling.

Comment

There's a bit of info here:

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Scorpions of Medical Importance

by Hugh L Keegan

ISBN = 0952408317
          Price = £16.00
          Published = 1998
          Review written = 19/February/1999
          140 pages
          2 b/w photos, 31 b/w illustrations

Take a look at the BTS site and go to the Fitzgerald Page
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On
          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thank you everyone. Some very useful information. I'll be ordering the book that Ray recommends (via the BTS site rather than Amazon of course!). The Arachnoboards thread was a fascinating read. I think my biggest difficulty will be not having access to identified specimens of other species with which to compare mine - some of the defining characteristics look to be difficult to determine without seeing several examples (not to mention my lack of expertise in this field). But I'm always up for a new challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Strick View Post
              But I'm always up for a new challenge!
              That's the spirit. I've found out the hard way that that's probably the only way you're going to get anywhere with scorpion IDs! Count yourself lucky - my own 'challenge' is only a few centimeters long, almost certainly a member of a complex of species, some of which may not be described at all, and looks pregnant...

Comment

this is my personal favourite resource:

and if you check their links, there is a site that has ALOT of keying out information on Heterometrus
                well i'll link directly to the paper: http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/...s/p2004_15.pdf

enjoy!
                Heterometrus are vaguely addictive for predominantly big black scorpions...i've somehow amassed about 6 species
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Wow, thank you James. That PDF looks exceptionally valuable.

Comment

@Eleanor: Your challenge sounds like a good one too. Best of luck with it!

Comment

no worries!

and good luck, Eleanor!!! that sounds like fun
                      any idea what family it's from, or what country?
                      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks!!! It's a Vaejovidae sp. from Arizona. It's one of the V. spinigerus that TSS were selling, but it doesn't resemble the other V. spinigerus at all, apart from having the general characteristics of Vaejovidae. I haven't managed to get hold of any useful descriptions yet though, so that's as far as I've got. It's a fierce little beast though!

Comment

oooh let me know how you get on!
                          all i could work out was that V. spinigerus (also known as genus Hoffmanius, i think) have very very pronounced keels on the dorsal surface of their metasomas.
                          but yeah, a bit confusing, that group.
                          they are lots of fun though!
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Well, I tried to order "Scorpions of Medical Importance" but haven't had a reply from Fitzgerald. Is there someone from there on the board that I can PM?

Comment

if you come to the BTS in May, you might be able to get it there!
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X