Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avic question

Hey guys,

I got a lovely little sub-adult pinktoe a couple of months ago and something just occured to me. A lot of people say that when keeping pinktoes both high humidity and ventilation are important. I can understand why high humidity is needed: to prevent dehydration. But why do they require high ventilation? Are avics more sensitive to mold/fungus than some other species? Or is it something to do with air quality?

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find a thread that gives the reason.

I don't think I have a problem with my ventilation, my pinktoe's viv has a mesh top and she seems to be doing just fine. I was just wondering

I'm not sure of the technicalities of this but I certainly know the affects of a lack of ventilation, doctor death arrives and leaves you rather peeved.

Avics are arboreal, living within tropical rainforests. Naturally humidity is higher and as they're off ground level the airflow is higher than that for fossorial species. Reflecting this in an enclosure is the key to maintaining these. I provide ventilation at the top and the substrate level for my Avics to help circulate the air.

Hopefully someone will post a better reply with a fully explanation.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
    X