chilean beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chilean beauty

hi all, just bought what was labelled a chilean beauty from paws for thought, did not take notice of the latin name on the enclosure it was in. i found on the net Grammostola cala as chilean beauty but also brings up the chilean rose under the same name... is the proper name for my little newbie g. cala or summet else?
    she/he is only about 2 inch, little red tuft on the back, carapice has dark markings and their is stripes near the web spinners. i read on the net that the chilean beauty has een changed to the red chilean rose but i have a couple of rosies and none look like this... i would upload a photo but have been trying to start a picture thread for ages and cant get my pics up.
    just a little confused as to what i actually bought, i trust the bloke in the shop new his stuff, he seemed to any way, but just confused about all the contradicting info on the net.
    any ideas????

Hi Mark,

If you can upload a picture of you spider we may be able to identify but as for going by the common name it is very dificult to give you a strait answer as there are about 4 or 5 species being traded as "Chillean beauty"

this is the exact reason i try to encourage people to trade by the scientific name as the common names provded often count for multiple species.

N.B the full names are refered to as "scientific" names not latin names as they are often made up of a combination of latin, greek and other languages. (just thought i'd pop that comment in there befor the usual suspects pick up on it lol)
    Last edited by wayne balcombe; 20-02-10, 05:08 PM.
    Wayne.

Comment

Euthalus Trunculentus ive seen sold as Chile Beautiful, like Wayne says post a pic up then we can see what it is.

Comment

i got a few pics up on my laptop but can never seem to get them on the site. but that might be the one, the Euthalus Trunculentus. i looked at a lot of them and forgot the name as i left, all i could remember was it began with an e, my friend insisted it was l.
        i will try loading up some pics but bin trying to load pics since i joined the site and no luck yet. thanx for the replys.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Mullins View Post
          Euthalus Trunculentus ive seen sold as Chile Beautiful, like Wayne says post a pic up then we can see what it is.
          i was just thinking that, from the description
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

i looked on net at Euathlus Truculentus and i think that it wat i have. im not good with scientific names but next time i will remember it when i buy one... i will try getting a pic up using some one elses pc, might be my mobile connection stoping me uploading. im pretty certain now it the e.truculentus but will let the more knowladgable have a look.
            whatever she/he is, its a welcome addition to my collection. Love her colouring and very well behaved.

Comment

you mention dark markings on the carapace, that's the bit that confuses me. E. truculentis has a metallic green carapace, and a very similar but generally (IME) calmer spider is Paraphysa parvula, but it's gold on the carapace. however, their abdomens are nearly identical, with stripings near the spinnerets...
              anyway it'll be grand if you can show us a picture!

the only other caveat is that i think some of the Chilean taxomony may change, so these spiders may get re-classified at some point.
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

E Truculentis
                Here's a picture of my old one-is this what u mean?
                Attached Files
                If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
                the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

sory it was not a very good description, i was hoping to have a pic up by now but still no luck, i cant evan add a link. just looked at ur pic and went to look at the tarantula and she darted out of the enclosure and made a break for freedom... i caught her and put her back and she ran into her hide... dunno why she got so scared but i almost hard a bloody hart attack.
                  that pic is like mine yes... i will post a pic as soon as possible, thanx

Comment

that sounds promising...i found with my P. parvula and T. truculentis that while their colours were nearly the same, aside from one species usually having a green carapace and femurs and the other gold (which wasn't consistent, ie i had a gold truculentis, apparently)...the one major thing that set them apart aside from T. truculentis being a tad more leggy imo (and i'm sure there are more differences then that), they were also ALOT more shy and skittish and prone to go walkabout.
                    neither really kicked hairs off or tried to bite, however.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	93880

Name:	Photo0063.jpg
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	93881

Name:	Photo0064.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	93882

Name:	Photo0065.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	93883

Name:	Photo0066.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	93884

a few pics... finaly. not very good i know, but they are all i have at the min.... hope these help.

Comment

Hey from the pic's it more then likely a E Truculentis but there is a very similer species call Paraphysa Parvula which looks all most the same, if theres any chance of better pic's i could tell u 100%
                        If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
                        the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

Working...
                        X