Is this normal for a chilian rose hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal for a chilian rose hair

just wondering iv had my chilian rose since christmas and have not seen her once go into her hide or go near her water bowl no problem wit the heat and humidity its all kept as recommended but she never seems to hide no matter what time of the day it is an iv read they like to hide during the day so is this nomal behaviour shes also is a moody little thing rears up wen i open the lid for feeding and topping up the water when it drys out iv never handled her as she has a littlle temper any advice appreicated thanks for help

G. rosea are well known for doing the unexpected, including fasting for very long periods. Their temperament may change after a moult but generally they are considered good beginner species because they are not demanding, usually docile and easy to care for.
    Many species, although considered burrowers, may ignore burrows and hides that you provide but its considered that this reflects the T being at ease with its surroundings. So no need to worry if it doesnt use it, most of mine have buried their hides and water bowls long time ago.
    Make sure your substrate isnt too wet, preferably quite dry with the occassional watering of one area of the enclosure or topping up that water bowl.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Anto,

I've had a G. rosea myself since January this year and she goes into her hide for a couple of days but will stay out for long periods...I just leave her get on with it...! Also she hasn't eaten since I got her and I have yet to see her drink any water (this is still changed every day though) and I'm lead to believe this is all normal for this sp.

She moves okay and pretty much spends most of her time by the heat mat at the moment as it's a bit cold but the temp in the tank doesn't drop below 20C too often, at it's lowest it's probably 18C, but she seems happy and content. As for the aggression...don't think mine has done that yet..!! I have handled her and the most aggression she has ever shown me was she kicked a couple of hairs off when I initially put her into her new home but I have read that if the temp is too high this could make them a little bad tempered, I don't know how accurate this is though. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as she looks healthy and is moving around okay...
      Last edited by Denny Teasdale; 21-02-10, 02:29 PM. Reason: more added
      Cheers

Denny

Re-formed arachnophobic since Dec '09

Comment

thanks for that guys iv jus changed the enclouser to a tank was useing one them plastic critter keepers type things all the heat must been gathering in the hole thing an stressin her out see how things go from now on she was a little snapy when tryin to move her into a lunck box before she went in the tank hope she calms down now would love to hold her have never held one

Comment

I would leave her settle completely in her new home Anto...put the heat mat on the side or rear at one end of the tank and her retreat at the other...you may find after a couple of days she does the same as mine and just hangs around the heat mat.

A good way to test if she can be handled is this (I got this advice from a member of the forum). Gently touch her back legs with something other than your hand...if she darts away she may be too nervous to hold...if she whips round and confronts you with a threat posture you're more likely to be "tagged" by her...not good..!! on the other hand if she just ambles away then this could be a good sign she's okay to handle...

How big is the tank...?
          Cheers

Denny

Comment

its an average sized tank same dimensions as the plastic one the shop gave me jus a bit of height difference not too much but enough to circulate the heat a lot better so its not smoothering the spider too much
            Attached Files
            Last edited by anto kerr; 21-02-10, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Hi Anto

I thought i would add my views on here the first T i brought was my G.rosea 17 yrs ago and had all the same worries as you have.
              She rarely moved to far never went into her hide and was never really interested in eating like some of my other T's do now.
              Well 17yrs later and she is still alive and doing exactly the same apart from she seems to eat less if that seems possible lol
              The hide is still in the tank and wen i occasionally spray her tank she may make an attempt to move towards it but never gets there
              She molted late last yr first time in wot i think is 2 yrs and did have a mad munch on 4 crickets but refused the 5th and hasnt eaten since but i always throw a cricket in wen feeding my other T's just incase she decides she's hungry lol
              I also have another G.rosea RCF which eats a bit more than the other but again isnt the most active of T's she will have a bit of a dig but never really uses a hide as a home which i personally think shows they are happy with the way the tank is set-up and dont need to hide away(my opinion).
              What i'm tryin to say and started to waffle is G.rosea aren't an active spider if they are happy with the enviroment their in if it starts to climb the walls then worry
              again only my oppinion

Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Annal View Post
                Hi Anto

I thought i would add my views on here the first T i brought was my G.rosea 17 yrs ago and had all the same worries as you have.
                She rarely moved to far never went into her hide and was never really interested in eating like some of my other T's do now.
                Well 17yrs later and she is still alive and doing exactly the same apart from she seems to eat less if that seems possible lol
                The hide is still in the tank and wen i occasionally spray her tank she may make an attempt to move towards it but never gets there
                She molted late last yr first time in wot i think is 2 yrs and did have a mad munch on 4 crickets but refused the 5th and hasnt eaten since but i always throw a cricket in wen feeding my other T's just incase she decides she's hungry lol
                I also have another G.rosea RCF which eats a bit more than the other but again isnt the most active of T's she will have a bit of a dig but never really uses a hide as a home which i personally think shows they are happy with the way the tank is set-up and dont need to hide away(my opinion).
                What i'm tryin to say and started to waffle is G.rosea aren't an active spider if they are happy with the enviroment their in if it starts to climb the walls then worry
                again only my oppinion

Aaron
                thanks arron that has made me feel a lot better about her now as u said if she feels happy in her surroundings there is no need to hide away thanks a lot thats really helped

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Annal View Post

if it starts to climb the walls then worry
                  again only my opinion

Aaron
                  I have read that this is an indication that the substrate or tank could be too humid/moist. I'm sure I'll be corrected if i'm wrong...! Apologies if
                  I am...
                  Cheers

Denny

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Teasdale View Post
                    I have read that this is an indication that the substrate or tank could be too humid/moist. I'm sure I'll be corrected if i'm wrong...! Apologies if
                    I am...
                    Well i am no expert but with all my spiders if they are constantly climbing the walls as if to try an get out then something is not right be it substrate or general tank conditions depending on species not being to there liking unless of course you have a mature male of any species as they seem to wander aimlessly
                    again only my experience with the T's i have and how they are

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Working...
                    X