Any tips on keeping mexican red knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on keeping mexican red knee

hi all im thinking of getting a Mexican red knee spider and was looking for some advice on keeping this spider i currently have a Chilean rose which is evil is the keeping of this spider similar to chilin rose i.e what soil temp humidity do i keep it at and is it ok to handle this spider as iv never handled the rose but would love to get over my fear of holding one cheers in advance for any tips and advice given

hi mate, if you go to the home page and click on BTS guides, there's some general info for keeping T's...should be enough for a B. smithi.
    I've personally never owned one, but from what i'm told they like it dry and pretty warm, unlike G. rosea, which while liking it dry also like it cool.

also it should be noted that handling isn't encouraged here...it's an individual choice, but the risks to the spider outway the benefits to the keeper. spiders can suddenly freak out and run and jump to their deaths. i've had it happen myself, so it's something to be aware of.
    at the end of the day, they don't really enjoy being handled, especially if the person is slightly nervous, as they sense it and it puts them on edge as well.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Red knees are easy to keep and you are unlikely to need do anything different to what you are doing for your rose. There are plenty of care sheets on the web, but basically, if the temperature is ok for you in a t shirt then it's ok for the spider, and keep the substrate dry with a water dish.

James got it exactly right about the handling.

Comment

If you go to www.brachypelmas.co.uk there is a wealth of info on all things Brachy there. Good luck
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Generally great replies and pointers..

But, not so much of the 'keep dry' please. In the natural environment, they generally under large stones in the more humid parts of 'dryish scrub forest'.

What that means is a more humid microclimate, so keep much of the enclosure substrate mostly dry, but with either a damp corner or a really shallow waterdish to raise the humidity. I keep the damp part away from the heat source. Yes, warmer temps than others like Chilian rose prefer.

Go for ideal temperatures between 22-31 degrees (72-8, and to replicate the natural environment, ideally make it wetter in the summer, from june to october when the rainy season is. Indeed dry out more over Dec-april.

For substrate, I use a mixture of sand and peat, but would probably be good to also add in coco fibre, and sand alone is much too dry. They need a largish hide to shelter under, away from the heat source.

If the spider stays on the humid part, it wants it more humid overall, if it stays on the dry part, it wants it drier overall... watch and learn from what the spider is telling you...

Also.... can i shamelessly plug a DVD on redknee spiders.... by AM.Smith.

s
          British Tarantula Society
          My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Fairly simalar conditions,home temp usually ok,water dish and quite dry.Watch the hairs on them,i am very allergic to them now.Cheers,Paul.

Comment

My red knee molted in January showed itself for about a month and ate very well. For the last couple of weeks it has stayed in its burrow next to the heat pad and hardly moved. Not eating either, when active its a great spider to watch .Not had any bother with flicking hairs.

Comment

Working...
              X