• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannibalism in locusts

i mainly use locusts because they are easier than crickets
    to use and they are prettier but mainly because i thought
    they were veggie and wouldnt hurt a moulting
    tarantula if left in the tank, i lost a spider during a moult
    because of a crix eating it while it was moulting.
    locusts seemed ideal, i have just however found a box
    of locusts i'd forgotten about (shame on me)
    there were only 5 locusts left in the box but one of them
    was eating another one alive from the tail end up.
    its a creepy to see. i understand that it was due to
    starvation because of my neglect but could they do the
    same to a Tarantula???
    Gone is the idea i could safely leave a locust in the tank with
    a tarantula for a long as it survived.
    'A Woman's Prayer:
    Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Dee, im pretty sure that locust are primarily Vegetarian but will resort to cannibalism if food is short. I found this link which may prove useful http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7395356.stm. So it could be entirely possible that a locust would have a nibble on your tarantula. I personally after advice from many people on this forum have stopped feeding locust to my T's and now feed cockroaches as a staple with crickets,waxworms as a bonus.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

thanks for the link mark.
      I was really surprised to see the locust eating another one.
      i will be paying more attention to them in my tarantula tanks
      from now on.
      i dont use roaches, i hate them, i find them worse then crix for
      attacking/eating tarantulas. yuk i really hate them.
      and i find they burrow straight to the bottom of the tank and
      then i dont know if the T has eaten or not and if
      they will be okay during a moult. too much hassle for me.! lol
      I'll keep using lo's but i do also use mealies and waxies etc.
      'A Woman's Prayer:
      Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

Dee, no problem for the link. I see your point but the roaches dont get much chance to burrow when i feed them to my T's. They treat it like christmas and pounce on it as soon as it touches the substrate. Then again since i started my own colony of orange spotted roaches, i have seen the bill of live food go down..which in these hard times is always good As for roaches attacking spiders i have never heard of this, crickets will and im guessing so would locust.
        Tarantulas kept:
        0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

i use locusts occasionally, especially big ones, for large T's, as they make for a bigger target (despite having no more actual meat then a large cricket). i've never had any trouble with them, and they either are used or just die over time.
          the biggest bother is that they appear almost smart, and can aim for that gap in the lid and leap out before you realise, and then they settle behind something and you lose them!

but they don't appear in the sizes i like at the shops very often, so i tend to use crickets mostly. i've rarely had trouble with them...you just need to keep an eye, really...

but i don't see any problems with locusts as feeder animals, if the spiders will take them...

i've never used roaches, but i've heard of some keepers having most of their spiders (large collections too) ignore them.

crickets to me, despite the bother, seem to be the only thing universally taken by all...and given how nutritionally complete they are, it's a good thing!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thats quite funny as all of my T's cannot get enough of the roaches, waxworms are funnily enough liked only by the smaller T's...

The only reason i was not advocating the use of Locust as live food is due to reports of them carrying botulism and various parasites that could harm your spider. Although in the wild im pretty sure that spiders would eat locust if they got the chance. I just found where i live locust are priced much higher than crickets and as you said, you find it hard to find ones large enough to feed your spiders james.
            Tarantulas kept:

Comment

yeah i heard that too, but i've never seen any hint of a problem with locusts so far... even kept relatively cool.

i guess there's risk in anything.

incidentally, my 6" young L parahybana tucked into a couple waxworms despite them being small compared to her the other day...

they're all so different, really...and there are probably loads of other factors that affect it as well.
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
              X