Acanthoscurria geniculata male ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acanthoscurria geniculata male ??

Just a quick Question i'm hoping someone can answer for me.
    I have a male white knee here that was picked up from a rescue center and i would like if possible to make sure its a Acanthoscurria geniculata male so i can then try and mate him with my female i have.
    To me it looks like it is but i am not an expert at IDing a species but do try hard lol.
    So to the pics

He wasnt overly impressed with me taking pics as you can see

I hope the pics are gd enough to be able to ID him
    Thanx in advance
    Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Anybody want to confirm my thoughts or tell me how wrong i am lol ??

Aarons Collection:

Comment

i can't tell you what it is unfortunately, but looking at the BTS Theraphosidae gallery...sadly there isn't a male of A. geniculata present, but there is a pic of a male Nhandu chromatus, which looks superficially similar to yours.
      if your male isn't A. geniculata, my guess is that it'd be N. chromatus, as they are kinda similar looking, as far as the leg striping goes. the carapace and i think the length of the setea on the legs may be a difference to check.

here's one i googled for

just a guess, but to me yours looks a tad more like N. chromatus then it does A. geniculata
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Cheers James i have been sent some pics of a male A.geniculata and looks similar but that has recently matured so looks alot brighter than the 1 i have so still unsure lol
        Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

hopefully someone that knows a few characteristics of both will reply and help you clear it up!!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

HI, I don't know how much this'll help? I've attached a pic of my A. geniculata MM and my juvi N. chromatus, and you can see the abdomen of the geniculata is black with black hairs. I read that Nhandu's generally have a red colour to the hair on the abdomen although its quite dull on the pic (pic's about 2 week old and its cast today). However I also have a N. carapoensis that looks very similar to the chromatus lol.
            So I would guess you have a Nhandu but not exactly sure which?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Alexander,
              Thanx for your post i think your right by looking at your pics and others on the net i'm 99.9% sure he is not A.geniculata male so he wont be getting any luck in my house lol
              Cheers Aaron

Aarons Collection:

Comment

No. i dont think its Acanthoscurria. Yes, im quite sure it is a N.chromatus male. Of course, the best option is to look at the shape of the palpal bulbs.

I found a picture of a mature male Nhandu chromatus in about 3 seconds with google, but i wont be naughty and post a link to a(nother) photo thats not mine...

Now, any chance you could save him for taxonomy? If/when he dies, can you freeze him, then bring his remains to the next meeting, like the BTS show in may? (of course if he is still alive but useless for breeding i would still like to get him for a taxonomy collection please).
                British Tarantula Society
                My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
                X