Chicken Spider Male: 1st Time Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Spider Male: 1st Time Pics

I know Mark will be letting out a huge sigh of frustration, as threads that include the words "Chicken Spider" generally kick off long, involved, often libelous threads that just cause him headaches so - sorry in advance!

I recently spent 2 weeks in Peru working for Rainforest Expeditions SA and had the chance to look again for the infamous Arana Pollita.

Very pleased to announce that the population that seemed to have been struggling a couple of years ago, has bounced back with a vengeance and they were widespread and thriving in the National Park again.

Second bit of good news was that after years and years, I found a live adult male. This was the one missing piece of the puzzle and was going to definatively confirm if the Chicken Spider was just an outsized regional variation of Pamphobeteus antinious or something new.

Photo of the beast attached which as you can see, does not have metallic blue on the carapace or legs.

Notice especially the large thick femurs of legs 3 and 4 that also characterise the Chicken Spider.

A few pics of the some of the females we tracked down, also shown.
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

OK what happened to the pics? I'll try again!
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

Hi Martin,

I was rather enthusiastic when reading the message you just posted but am unable to see the pictures you have attached, there doesn't seem to be any attachments on the post.

I'm not using my own computer at the moment so if its just me and this machine i'm on resulting in an inability to view said pictures then i retract my statement but will check again when i'm home.
      Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Nicholas View Post
        OK what happened to the pics? I'll try again!

Phew..............

glad its not me, started to thing my eyesight was failing.
        Wayne.

Comment

great stuff Martin! can't wait to see the pics
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Martin

Can we see the photo's when you do your talk for us in April.

Better still bring a live one and i'll supply the chicken lol

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
            Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

Can't you see the pictures?? They're stunning!!

Joking.... I can't see them either

My Collection:

Comment

Re: Chicken Spider Male: 1st Time Pics

Fantastic news, well done Martin! Now....pics.....?
                Claire Beckett

[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

to be updated lol....new additions

Comment

Apologies all, I'll try again or get someone with a decent machine to try!

They are worth the wait, honest!

Comment

3rd time lucky?

and a bonus tiger-striped Funnel Web!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great photos Martin, thanks for sharing. That male looks very nice!

Comment

long debates?? threads that gives Mods and Admin headaches???
                        Don't know what you're on about Martin

Anyway after faffing about for years i see you've come up with "the goods"

seriously though , great work mate, good images and hopefully an end to one of the taxonomic enigmas haunting the hobby.....

any further updates to this, just post away and i promise the thread will be kept clean this time
                        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

very cool, Martin!!! congrats on solving the mystery!
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Re: Chicken Spider Male: 1st Time Pics

Great pictures Martin...thanks for sharing these with us!
                            Claire Beckett

[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

to be updated lol....new additions

Comment

Very nice pics, I wonder if that is P. crassifemur Bertani et all 2008?, did it stridulate? Is there a dead specimen?,

And it certainly does not have the iridescent sheen as claimed in post 48 of this thread sorry to bring this one back up

but handy to tie up some loose ends, the promised male was never sent to be examined, and no one ever received (or if you did please post up) any spiderling's from the eggsac's neither the one which died in the "heatwave" of one of England's "wettest" summers, nor the second one where the 10,000 poster/viewer is to receive a free one.

Ray
                              Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 03-03-10, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X