C schioedtei enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C schioedtei enclosures

Hi all, I have two Malaysian earth tigers and in a month or two I'll be moving them into 5ltr cereal tubs. I have kitted the tubs out semi arboreal with plenty of substrate for burrowing packed tightly behind some bark. I was asking really wether anyone had any suggestions? ideas? I've read they move up into the trees as they mature so would this set up be ok for them or would I need to change the tubs into arboreal when they mature?

I'd suggest you set these up as arboreal enclosures, although they tend to burrow in captivity they're not found like this in the wild, so there's some confusion over this common name.

Provide plenty of substrate in the hide and put plenty of sphagnum moss in the enclosure. I kept my 3 in moist environments, the male matured but was eaten recently, I'm fingers crossed for the remaining 2.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thanks Peter, much appreciated as I don't like to disturb them too much at all and only want to move them once if I can! I reckon I'm on the right track with the tubs I have set up, maybe just a little adjustment. Again thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        I'd suggest you set these up as arboreal enclosures, although they tend to burrow in captivity they're not found like this in the wild, so there's some confusion over this common name.
        Peter is spot here...

regards
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for the input Mark, I've made a few adjustments and they are both arboreal now! Rather get it right first time than mess them about later.

Comment

I just keep my juvi in a sweet jar, he does burrow like most other arborial species when they're young.
            These are a lovely spider-one of my favourite's but they are very shy and dont come out much, they like it very dark-so by putting it in a shaded corner u might see it a bit more too.
            If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
            the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Richardson View Post
              I just keep my juvi in a sweet jar, he does burrow like most other arborial species when they're young.
              These are a lovely spider-one of my favourite's but they are very shy and dont come out much, they like it very dark-so by putting it in a shaded corner u might see it a bit more too.

There never terrestrial burrows in the wild, they only do this in captivity, basically because they have no where to hide. if you use cork with large holes drilled in they do take up residence in them.

Here is a picture of a typical Phormingchilus / Lampropelma species (ignore the label on the picture btw) spiderling in the wild. all Cyriopagopus species are found the same way.

Cheers
              Mark
              Attached Files

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark, I see! I havent drilled any holes into the bark, it's just a curved piece of cork bark that has been siliconed to fit the thinner end of the cereal tub creating an opening of about 6cm at the top, then I have filled the tube three quarters with substrate. Theres nowhere else to hide inside. I've added some black card curving around the back so to keep the top dark and hopefully inviting for them.

Comment

Working...
                X