cleaning and when

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning and when

hi everyone i know this subject keeps poping up but need some advise. i've done my homework where the books are concerned and i've read different bits of advise some say they never touch there tanks and some say at least once every six months. none of my tank's have nasty niffs nore is there any mold anywhere but for example my smithi and rosa were last cleaned out 9 months ago and the only thing in there tanks is a carpet of web over the substrate. so im just wondering should i give them a clean out or not. i just need to know what you would do cheers eveyone.

As long as there is not a massive outbreak of mould then there is really no need to clean the tank out. Remove any cricket remains as and when you find them and you will be good.
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Comment

As Craig has replied, there's no need to clean and I think if you get an answer from some of the long standing keepers you'll find many haven't cleaned their enclosures for years!
      Removing uneaten food, bolus and moulds is basic maintenance, cleaning the glass of your arboreals is often a way of actually seeing inside, lol.
      Your tarantula will put down a layer of web over the substrate which helps to identify its surroundings as well as give it clues to food items. Removing the substrate and cleaning the enclosure is like moving all your furniture out of your house and many suggest this will stress your tarantula. If you consider that many tarantula will live within a square metre for their whole lives its easy to realise why such a chance could be stressful.
      The only time I'd go to such drastic measures is if I had an outbreak of phorid flies or potential threats to the health of my tarantula. If it aint broke, don't fix it
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Spiders are very clean creatures. I remove the dead cricket husks weekly. Their excrement dries to a pinkish powder that biodegrades easily. If the spider has produced a web matting I would be tempted to leave it be and do spot maintainence where necessary. I only change the substrate if there are problems with mould or mites and with good husbandry this should not be a problem. Disturbing the tank to often can stress the spider and lead to problems.

Hope this helps

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

thanks for getting back to me craig. you've prety much gave the same advise as pete and ray really appreciate your help thanks mate.

Comment

cheers for that pete makes perfect sence when you explain it the way you have o and by the way i haven't got an arboreal yet but would love an avicularia versicolor. hopefully very soon. thanks again pete.

Comment

hi ray thank's for your help on this subject. i've read different opinions on this subject but just wanted a positive answer in a nut shell so to speak and i got it on here. thanks for your help ray much appreciated.

Comment

Woodlice are a good bet (sterile ones of course)
                no mould, no phorid or mite eggs, they'll even tackle a food bolus given time.

but as above have said no real reason to clean on a regular basis
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                X