Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAO Ray Hale and anyone else incensed by this nonsense!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Ray Hale and anyone else incensed by this nonsense!!

On saturday 13th March, I was watching Ant & Decs Push the button, there was a game where the contestants had to identify what was in a covered box, the woman in question was batting about in the box trying to identify a chile rose, the poor thing was running around the box scared to death, anyway the upshot of it all was I complained to ITV and Ofcom,
    this is the letter I wrote....

while watching Saturdays 'Push the Button' I was horrified to see a
    python
    and a tarantula in the boxes for contestants to feel and identify,
    As my knowledge on snakes is very limited I cannot possibly comment, but
    I am a breeder of tarantulas,
    and I cannot believe that someone would have agreed to allow this to
    take place,
    a Chile Rose tarantula (grammastola rosea) is agreeably the most docile
    of tarantula, but under the circumstances, I am amazed that it didn't
    rear up and bite the contestant the way she was 'batting' about in that
    box, more importantly, she could have hit the tarantula causing it
    untold damage even death, I have been a breeder and keeper of tarantulas
    for a long time now, and I have seen these poor animals put through
    all sorts, it really is time that such idiocy was stopped!!
    both my children who also have a great love of tarantulas were beside
    themselves that a tarantula identical to one of their own, was being
    treated in this inhuman fashion!!

I look forward to your reply with a full explanation on why this was
    ever allowed to happen!!!

Maria Clarke
    and this is the response I got this morning.....

Dear Maria

Thank you for your email regarding Push The Button.

On Saturday 13th March, 2010, 'Ant and Dec's Push the Button' featured
    an item where contestants had to identify a series of objects, including
    three animals, by touch alone.

Both in the formulation and playing of the featured game the wellbeing
    and safety of the animals was the programme's priority and every step
    was taken to ensure all guidelines and industry standards were strictly
    adhered to and that no animals were harmed.

Only experienced specially-trained animals were used, these were
    supplied by Amazing Animals, the UK's leading supplier of trained
    animals for the entertainment industry. The featured animals were also
    supervised on the set at all times by both a certified handler and a
    vet, both of whom ensured the animals were correctly and responsibly
    treated during rehearsals for, and the recording of, the programme.
    Moreover, the contestants were briefed before the item that animals
    would feature and advised exactly how to handle any they may encounter.

As well as meeting all guidelines, both handler and vet were fully
    satisfied with the way the item was conducted.

Thank you for taking the time to contact ITV.

Kind regards

ITV VIEWER SERVICES - DC
    so my question is can a tarantula be trained???
    can they be trained not to rear up, can they be trained not to bite?
    can they be trained to regenerate when a dirty great hand has come down on them and squashed them????

sorry to have had a rant but I am sick of people using animals in this way for peoples amuzement!!!

am I over reacting? I would love to hear your views,

Maria x

Hi Maria,

I don't think you over reacted at all! I saw the show as well and didn't like what I was seeing. Like you said, the woman could have easily killed or seriously injured the T.

I think them saying they were using trained animals is absolute nonsense! Just a way of trying to covering their backs.

I'm glad someone complained! I probably would have done myself if I thought it would do any good, but to be honest the reply you got was just what I would have expected! These people just don't care about these animals. Good for you for speaking up though!

Jamie
    My Collection:

Comment

Thanks for the post Maria. I was unfortunate to see the said programme and agree that the whole thing was nothing more than sensationalism for the sake of it. Having supplied animals for TV and films myself I know how frustrating it is when things like this happen. The problem is one that despite intervntion by ourselves and others like us refuses to go away. The sad fact is that as reponsible keepers we find this distasteful but the vast majority of the viewing public actually find it entertaining. Dont ask me why? I have no doubt that ITV had the handler present and indeed a vet but to claim the the spiders were "specially-trained " is farcical.

I have e-mailed the programme but do not expect a reply as I was once featured on a local news programme do do an interview about exotic animal cruelty. The TV crew filmed for seven hours at my home, used my power, drank my coffee and then showed two minutes worth of filming. During which they focused on a tank that contained a Steadato ( False Widow). A harmless species. Without my knowledge they bought in an "Expert" to comment on the fact that I was keeping Black Widow and therfore I must be insane. Despite my protests and a call for a public apology the feature was broadcast. I was young then and didnt consider legal action. The expert stangley enough is now a good friend.

There is of course another view of all this. Each time a programe such as this, or Fear Factor, Im a has been , get me a new contract,or other such drivel appears it stengthens our hand as reponsible keepers. Why? For come the day when we are forced to defend our hobby we will simlpy cite all of these ridiculous programmes as examples of why we as keepers can take the moral high ground. I have quite a collection of clips.

I know this type of thing infuriates and we will continue to fight on the spiders behalf for TV Companies to self police.

Ray
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

wow that is truly awful!!!!!!!! and how on earth are we supposed to train a tarantula?
        "i've got mine to wear a top hat and walk a tightrope!"
        "fantastic, i've taught mine to juggle!"
        "erm...i've just taught mine not to panic or bite when some stupid human is batting it about in a box!"

GRRR

good on you Maria for complaining.

Ray, that's a very good perspective to take!!!!! at least we can use this as ammunition against the anti's!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thankyou Ray for your answer,
          I think you will probably get the same sort of answer I did,
          I will of course be replying to their message, and asking if they have any tips on training their tarantulas, because I have 120, that need a few lessons!!!

I still have Ofcom to do thier investigation, but I dont see I will get much from them either, if ITV are so confident they have done everything right.

Thanks again Ray, I really do appreciate your time, in your very busy schedule

Comment

I didn't see the show, I don't like programs like that at the best of times, but I just did a you tube search for the clip. Even I, being a novice with tarantulas, can see the danger for the poor animal. Who do I email to complain to? If they get enough complaints they might actually think about stopping doing silly tricks like that to get a rise out of an audience.

Also: would handling a tarantula in such a rough way make it's urticating hair rub off on you?
            Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

Comment

viewerservices@itv.com and http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/

these are the addresses I wrote to,
              thankyou for your support

Comment

Well done Maria, Ray is right about this crass sensationalism. What I do is not watch the rubbish. The thing which concerns me is that the programme sounds as though it is aimed at children and seems to be encouraging the abuse of animals for fun. It is not the first time a programme featuring these two has been involved in animal cruelty, look at "I'm a Celebrity" and the rat case. quite honestly its about time ITV realised that this kind of abusive television is not only a waste of money but encourages younger individuals to abuse animals. As a member of the RSPCA also I am sick and tired of this kind of television and really would like to see action taken against this programme and its makers, as was done over I'm a Celebrity in Australia. Just because animal cruelty is unacceptable down under does not make it right here. Perhaps the British authorities should get some principles!!
                sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I think it might be more effective if we did something as a group. I imagine they got a fair share of complaints from many individuals all saying the same thing. What if the BTS admin team were to put some sort of petition together that we could all put our names to. It might be taken more seriously then?

Jamie.
                  My Collection:

Comment

Thant would be lovely if that could happen,

is that possible Ray?

Comment

Trained Tarantula's....there's an interesting concept...training an animal that has no emotion...very little visual capability and lives on instinct alone...! I know something though, the first person to do it will be rich...I can see it now "Denny Teasdale - Tarantula whisperer" yeah right can see someone training a T. blondi to sit up and beg for the cockroach!! I didn't see the part myself but this angers me too...it seems as though the general attitude ITV have about your letter is "it's only a spider" might be just me reading too much between the lines though. But I think as a society we should get a petition together and voice all our concerns about the treatment of these majestic creatures and every other animal on this planet......

Rant over...!
                      Last edited by Denny Teasdale; 16-03-10, 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error...my bad...!!
                      Cheers

Denny

Re-formed arachnophobic since Dec '09

Comment

I saw this too, it was disgusting, she could have easily snapped it's legs or ruptured it's opisthosoma with a manacured finger nail scratch, or just got bitten herself - pure idiocy.

There are plenty of "nasty" things you can feel and touch without bringing danger to an animal. I suppose at least the snake was beefy enough and strong enough to protest and win if it felt the need, but the whole thing really ticked me off - I shall be sending my complaint too, the more the better.

Comment

wierd... i was just watching the repeat of the show on itv2 as reading this post. i can see why this angered people...she not only whacked the tarantula a few times but a poor defencless hedgehog was clobbered too.
                          the way she was waving her hand around and grabing i am surprised the tarantula was not injured... if a petition is started i will be adding my name.

Comment

here is the link Ray, to add to your collection, I really hope that someone will see what they ae doing to these innocent animals

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGjrugwBauw"]YouTube- Ant and Dec's Push the Button S1E03 Part 2/6[/ame]

Comment

I've just this minute watched the clip...I know G. rosea are regarded as one of the docile sp. in the T world but how she didn't get tagged is beyond me...! I've had my G. rosea strike out (although not at me) but she has gone for my hand, but that's another story...!

How the T wasn't injured is another thing too...! Although Ant and Dec did warn there could be Live animals and to go easy I don't think the producers have realised just how fragile T's actually are...again could be the mindset of "It's only a spider..!" again could be just me...

May I suggest they use a Pokie next time...? that would be a laugh...!!
                              Cheers

Denny

Re-formed arachnophobic since Dec '09

Comment

Working...
                              X