Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brachypelma smithi juvi food ?

what should i feed a spider of this size about 1 inch

I feed mine small crickets, about half of it's body length and she loves them. You can get really small one's from any decent pet shop.

If you have other spid's and have larger crickets the sling should be quite happy to scavenge off a fresh dead one. I did this for my tarantula's first meal, I froze the cricket and let it defrost before putting it in her enclosure.
    Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

Comment

I usually feedmine mealworms that I have prekilled if they are too small,
      or like Vicky said small crickets

Comment

Well firstly welcome to the forum John.

As above we feed crickets, mealworms (bean weevils for the little diddy slings), and at the size yours is it should be well capable of taking a live cricket half its own size (possibly a little larger as they are quite a ravenous little species at that size)
        obviously the larger prey item would account for a little longer between feeds, although there's no hard fast scientific proof that power feeding causes any long term ill health or llife expectency issues i maintain that spiders should be kept as they would be in their natural habitat and feed accordingly (ie, varying sizes/species of prey items and feeding days/weeks/months apart when established) slings are excepted from this and are fed on a more regular (but sensible) basis
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

1 more question

what size enclosure is best iam using a box crickets come in iam unsure if this is too big

Comment

To be honest there's a lot of people out there that will say that you have to keep them in a container "x" amount of times bigger than the legspan etc etc blah blah but in reality spiders are excellent predators and have been since their "year dot"
            Cricket tubs are fantastic for keeping slings in in my opinion as there's less need to rehouse often through the growth of the spider, the sling has a good range to cover and there's room to add a little tactile decor like small pebbles and bark chippings.
            If you imagine a sling in it's natural habitat .... the first thing it does is find a little crevice and settles in there till either food comes along or it has a look for something to eat at night. There is no difference in having a tub 2inch square - 20inch spuare - or 2 miles square, the sling will find a place it feels secure and set up home in its own little bit.
            so in short ... yep... cricket tubs fine !!
            Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
              To be honest there's a lot of people out there that will say that you have to keep them in a container "x" amount of times bigger than the legspan etc etc blah blah but in reality spiders are excellent predators and have been since their "year dot"
              Cricket tubs are fantastic for keeping slings in in my opinion as there's less need to rehouse often through the growth of the spider, the sling has a good range to cover and there's room to add a little tactile decor like small pebbles and bark chippings.
              If you imagine a sling in it's natural habitat .... the first thing it does is find a little crevice and settles in there till either food comes along or it has a look for something to eat at night. There is no difference in having a tub 2inch square - 20inch spuare - or 2 miles square, the sling will find a place it feels secure and set up home in its own little bit.
              so in short ... yep... cricket tubs fine !!
              completely agree!!!
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
              X