Avic not Webbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avic not Webbing

My versi has yet to web since being moved into her new and final encl . She is 3 1/2" , the enclosure is 12x12 by18" tall it is modestly outfitted with 2 cork shards and has a water container which is fixed to the side about 3" from the top . I know she was approaching a molt - but she had yet to stop feeding , and adjusted well into her previous encl - her "teenager " encl . But I feel she is frightened by the larger space and beyond scant few threads satelliting like a very half hearted and skeletal blueprint there is no webbing . I am very worried - she did take a dubia in her new encl , from forcepts , lackadaisically as is her custom when a molt is on the way but she defers now . All the stats are good , im so very worried . It has been 10 days . Does anyone have have some advice they could share?

No need to worry Kelly as 10 days is nothing when it comes to an Avic settling in after a move. I've had Avics here that didnt start webbing for months after rehousing. I have found that in time they will web when they have a need to ie: upcoming moult. As she has eaten, I wouldnt say she is overly stressed so just let her get on with things and she will get around to putting down some webbing in her own time.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

I rehoused my A.Versi slings (2.5cm) a while back and a couple of them took weeks to lay any silk! Like you, I was really concerned. Eventually as they got closer to molt (about a week before) they webbed right up over night. I wouldn't worry, like Elaine said, 10 days is not very long at all.

Jamie.
      My Collection:

Comment

oh my thank you - i truly love this spider and her webs are a fascinating joy to me . . she has been like a little savant princess who lives in a glass case on my dresser - my first spiderling . perhaps breeding and raising many would make things different but i allow myself to romanticize her and her mysterious choices . I was worried she wouldnt web or do so insufficiently and that it would damage process and lead to a bad molt , I do feel better - thanks

Comment

You're welcome

If there is one thing I've learned over the last few years, it is that no matter how much we worry the spiders know what they are doing.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Elaine - those words should be carved on a plaque!

Comment

TA DA !!!
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Colin and Elaine, that's amazing! haha
                that should be hung on the wall of every spider keeper out there!
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Colin....are you gonna sell those plaques at the BTS Show? I'd buy one just to remind me that us Humans really don't know everything!!! I guess that if we really do provide them with the correct conditions and essentials, then they'll be happy but do what they want, regardless of whether we think it's 'wrong'! In a way, humans are the 'perfect' (or rather 'imperfect') example of the previous statement....we can 'provide' our children, family, or (in the case of government) members of the public with what we 'think' they want / need but still thousands of people go 'off the rails', either criminally or through mental instability! Guess you can't please all of the people (or spiders!!) all of the time!

Comment

Hey Steve
                    Just a bit of fun in Photoshop.... although i suppose i could resize it, print and frame a few for a cheap "fun prezzies"
                    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 23-03-10, 03:14 PM. Reason: deleted text related to my website situation
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Perfect ! I now have a reason to get my printer running

Comment

Working...
                      X