Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen. Cardiopelma Vol, 1999

Hello,

I am interested in learning about this genus. So far, it looks like it only has one described species C. mascatum Vol, 1999. I'm curious about:
    • what are the key taxonomic features of the genus/species?
    • what kind of urticating hairs the species has?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
    "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Nobody here knows anything about this taxon?

-Zoltan

"The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

according to the description, het main character is the shape of the spermathecae, this is heart shaped (that is where the name Cardiopelma comes from.)
      the description does not mention the type of urticating hairs. it does mention that this species has a mask on the carapace in the form of a black triangle.

I can't find many pictures on the internet of this genus. it is not in the hobby?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Eddy. Very nice looking specimen on the photo.

-Zoltan

Comment

Do you have the Voll paper?

Comment

Unfortunately I don't. Do you?

-Zoltan

Comment

yes, i will mail it this evening to you.

Comment

There are plenty of pictures on the web that could be Cardiopelma... just type in 'Metriopelma sp mexico'

Shame RCW's website is still down, there were some nice pics on there.

Seemingly, they only have type III hairs.

Now some blatant calls for help..
                If anyone has live or dead material from any 'Metriopelma sp mexico'... please let me know!
                If anyone knows the type site of any 'Cardiopelma'... please let me know !

Nice picture eddy. I just hope you didnt visit that region at night, i hear there are mass-murders by the narcos round there, and the local police come after you wearing balaclavas and carrying machine guns!
                British Tarantula Society
                My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
                X