Too soon to sex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too soon to sex?

I got some photos of the underside of my b.smithi today. It's still very small, is it too small to see if it's Charlotte or a Boris?

Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

hi vicky, its very hard to see through as the tub you are taking the piccie through isnt completely clear, it needs to be a close up shot really, plus i suspect that it may be too small to sex accurately by eye. Ts can be sexed from the skin using a microscope from the 4th moult onwards. if you dont get any joy finding out the sex, get in contact with chris carter on here, if you send him a skin he will sex it for you.
    hope this helps
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thank you Matthew, I've got a moult now, so I'll have to get in touch with Chris.
      Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

Comment

You really need to look at position of book lungs, look for a furrow (spermathecae) and look inside the moult on the other side of the furrow there should be a kind of flap..... You should not rely on just one of these methods.

there is a guy on youtube called "jon3800" he has recently uploaded a video on sexing your spiders. he is very clear and very knowledgeable....
        “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Yeah I sent off the moult to Chris as advised, turns out it's a he. Well 98% probability of being one anyway. Ah well, I'll just have to get more spids to see if one of them turns out to be a girly.

Comment

Working...
          X