Does my G.Rosea need a heat mat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my G.Rosea need a heat mat?

I have had her for about a year, and for the past 10 months or so, she had a heat mat, but was very lethargic and would stay in one palce all the time (away from the mat)
    Now i have moved her to a much more suitable elclousure with a deeper looser substrate and she seems so much more active. But i didn't use her heat mat because i have read a lot that she is ok at room temp. I wet a corner to keep it humid. Should i put the mat back in, or is it right that she doesn't need one. She does seem far happier now

No Grammostola rosea dont need heat mat or high tempratures, room temp is fine.
    If you are going to use a heatmat never use it at the bottom of the tank.

Comment

if u do have it at the bottom only put half of the enclouser on it, or alternatly if you have them on shelvs run the mat so its attached to the back wall of the shelving unit. But G.Rosea doesn't need a heat mat.

Comment

As long as the temp doesn't drop for long periods, G rosea do fine at a temp of 70 or just above.
        Heat mats (if you really must use one) really should be on the side in my opinion, spiders dig to get away from the heat and their burrows (according to my friend who researches them in situ) have a temp of 68-72 depending on area and depth.
        What i would suggest is to pack down the substrate quite hard, and start a burrow off for her. Burrowing tarantulas seem to be more "content" with burrowing if they can rasp at the substrate and of course there's less chance of a cave-in if the substrates firmer.
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I have a heatmat for my G.Rosea but my flat is excessively cold except on very hot days. I do have it underneath the enclosure but only under about a third of the tank area. My Rosy seems quite happy with it - she has a hide at the cool end and a plant pot at the warm end. She spends most of her time in the hide, but will go and sit at the warm end every so often.

However, I'm moving house in 2 weeks and the new house is much warmer than my old damp flat so I doubt I will need the heatmat then.

Comment

I personally don't use mats at all instead keeping the room at higher temperatures. (just easier for me than lots of mats) But I do enforce a nightime drop. Once it gets to this time of year I cease to use any extra heating at all during the night. This results in an ambient temperature of around 66-68. Last year or this year i've not suffered any problems with any of my spiders so I wouldn't worry yourself too much about that part. G.rosea come from a pretty harsh place as long as you have plenty of substrate for a burrow and you don't drop below a room temperature that makes you feel a little chilly at night they will be fine.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Working...
            X