Unwilling male

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwilling male

Hello everybody, i hope you can understand my english.
    I bought this Grammostola pulchra male in nov 2009 and i have tried a few times to breed my stunning 7.5" female with him but have been unsuccessful every time.
    The first time i shakcaged him for a few days and the female was very aggressive so i decided to let him rest a few weeks and make a new spermweb, but it has gone so long time now and no spermweb what so ever, he is more interested in eating.

I gave it a try a week ago and the female was very calm and willing and made a lot of drumming but my male just ran for his life every time she came near.
    I tried again with his open terrarium next to hers and poked him towards the famale witch was drumming like crazy but he just ran off into his box and she followed him into his box but he just kept running in circles.

Tips would be appreciated

My first question would be is the male mature ? (ie shows embolus (bulbs) on his palps)
    Sorry to ask but in the past people have bought "a male" not knowing he needs to mature and tried to breed (sometimes losing the male) so if he's mature then accept my appologies for asking.
    Temp and humidity could be playing a part in this, if little success on trying once more then i would cool them both (65f approx) for a week or two, bring them back to temp (75-80f approx) then introduce them after feeding them both.
    A change of environmental conditions sometimes places Grammostola into "breeding mode" and it's worked on several occasions for me.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thank you for replying.
      Yes, he is a mature male with tibia apophysis and enlarged ambolus.
      I will try chaning the environment for a fews and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X