Help with the strange behaviour from my Mexican redknee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the strange behaviour from my Mexican redknee

Hello there, well...well....i woke up the other morning and i noticed that the hide of my T, is completely buired. Just wanted some advice from anyone that came across this before.
    None of my other T's has done this , so i don't know if its a normal thing or not .

Here some pics so u can see wot i am talking about .....

Hi Paolo
    my red knee did exactly the same when it was getting ready to molt so i'd say you have nothing to be concerned about jus make sure its got fresh water at all times and it should be fine

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Thank you for reply me mate, should i just leave it alone then, i'm gonna make sure that no cricket are left in there then ..... thankx again mate!

Comment

hi paolo, leave it as it is, make sure there are no crickets in there and dont feed until the T has appeared from its moult and had a week to harden up. you will probably find that you wont see it again now until the moult has occured. just make sure the humidity is kept right so he/she doesnt get to dry and get stuck in moult and just sit back and wait for the striking freshly moulted T to surface, B.smithi really are stunning fresh from moult. if my B.smithi is anything to go by though you could have a bit of a wait on your hands
        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thankx again for the advices , Im a bit nervous coz none of my T's have molted yet so, its good 2 have advice from you guys!
          Im quite new 2 this hobby, but i cant stop admiring those splendid tarantulas, and they're behaviour.
          In august will be a year since i started my collection!

Comment

i got 2 smithis, one moulted about two week ago, too small to have the adult colours yet and the second one has just done the same thing with its hide, how fast do the smithis grow? their both about an inch at the min.

Comment

hi there!

Today i've came back from work, and i was spying in the little gap from the hiding place, and i noticed that my B. smithy is moulting, wots gonna happen next, i dont want 2 disturbe the substrate that blocked the entrance, if u see on the pic wot i mean.
              well wots going 2 happen next, will my Redknee appear from the hide on his/her own? i just want make sure that its' ok , but with all that pile at the front of the hide i can't see anything clear.

Comment

It's a case of wait to see a nice fresh looking tarantula appear

If you'll accept some constructive criticism .... vermiculite isn't the best medium to keep tarantulas on in it's single form, mixed with coir or peat it's more natural for the spider to live on and enables the spider to naturally burrow if there's enough depth (3-4 inches minimum is ideal). Also there's a lot of water droplets and spagnum moss in the tank, Brachypelma do best in a drier habitat with occasional dampening of the substrate in one corner for a gentle rise in humidity for moulting (or with a water bowl if you prefer)

Saying all this i know lots of people who keep their spiders on this material and have no issues, and the choice is yours at the end of the day ... most important thing .... enjoy your spider !!
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

you have to get some pics when he/she shows its self!

Comment

still no sight of my B. Smithy, i can see that the molt as occured, but i don't know yet if is a good molt or a bad molt, how long will i have 2 wait before start worry about it ! i really dont want 2 disturb my T ! any advices......?

Comment

Going slightly off topic here but is that substrate Perlite? Do you sieve it first as it can be incredibly dusty! I also find it far too lightweight to do anything with-vermiculite is better, coir or John innes compost even better still.
                      My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                      Ray Gabriel

Comment

yes i know people that the set up that i have created its not up to scratch, i thank you all about your critics, i will soon change it up, when my B. Smithy will be fully molted, at the moment i can't help it being like it, please bear in mind that its only a year since i have started this hobby.
                        I honestly apriciate your critics, but it wasn't wot i have asked as an advice thought.......

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo Trabucco View Post
                          yes i know people that the set up that i have created its not up to scratch, i thank you all about your critics, i will soon change it up, when my B. Smithy will be fully molted, at the moment i can't help it being like it, please bear in mind that its only a year since i have started this hobby.
                          I honestly apriciate your critics, but it wasn't wot i have asked as an advice thought.......
                          The best thing is just to wait for your spider to emerge on its own will. Moulting can be very stressful and she will be very delicate for a good few days after she has finished. Just do not rush her, she will come out when she is ready and feels strong and comfortable enough... Hope fully long enough for you to snap some pictures hahaha
                          “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo Trabucco View Post
                            Oh of course, but a helathy environment makes a happy spider
                            My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                            Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hello mate...just to add my own female B smithi lives on coir...i wouldnt use vermiculite as when its dry its very dusty and not easy for the spider to walk on...all my collection are kept on coir and they love the stuff...digging and burrowing etc..vermiculite doesnt hold together allowing them to dig into it...as for the moult just keep an eye on him/her and im sure itll be fine....these animals look after themselves and even my female Goliath moults without issues.even though it took her 9 hours last time!!!...keep us posted how you get on mate
                              all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

Comment

Working...
                              X