quick question on sorting out substrate for the viv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question on sorting out substrate for the viv

I prepared a packed brick of coconut fibre in water, and mixed it in with a load of vermiculite, about 40% mainly to dry it out and give a different texture.
    But i found out that people bake or microwave the coconut fibre after theyve prepared it to dry it out almost completely. Do you think this is necessary?
    I dont think it is its just moist and should air out after a couple of weeks
    B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

A fair few Genus tend to like dry substrate (Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma to name some) and tend to hang off the side of the tank untill it's dried out. If you can put up with this behaviour for a bit (and the substrate isn't too damp.. i.e. there's still water dribbling out when you squeeze it) then go ahead and use it ...... the spider will cope for the time being.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks, ive had the spider in a plastic jar about twice the width of its size for about a week and after last night i found it had dug some of the sub up and had spun some webs, so maybe its preparing itself for a molt. Tonight i should transfer it after ive burned a couple of air holes for the plexiglass roof ive made. The wire mesh roof i had it kept on falling off
      B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

Comment

Working...
      X