Thrixopelma pruriens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrixopelma pruriens

Hello Forum, my name is Lee, and my first post!

Does anyone have any experience with Thrixopelma pruriens? I just got 5 slings, (about 1cm) , they readily, and sometimes quite viciously, take food. But I can not seem to find any reliable info on them, people are saying different things...

All I would like to know is how fast are their growth rates? Are they nervous ? Are they easy or difficult to breed?

Thanks in advance.
    “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Have kept them for a while, they're quite happy kept in the same conditions as Grammostola, Brachypelma etc - Dry and reasonably warm (75f+) although they can take ocasional highs and lows of temp with ease. Humidity plays a bit of a part in moulting i.e raise it a bit when the spider refuses food and starts to be a little more secretive.
    Feeding is a thing to watch, from what i've seen in some collections they will feed very well even to the extreme of having a really fat abdomen dragging on the floor that could lead to sores developing. i feed very occasionally and try to keep the abdomen a nice trim size, quite oval in appearence.
    They seem to get a little more defensive as they grow towards adulthood, and are suprisingly fast for a terrestrial.
    Breeding is fairly easy if you watch the female for signs of taking a plunge at him, after the "deed" just keep her in the same conditions and with this species i've found it's a 50/50 chance she lays a sac or moults out (trying all the normal temp and humidity triggers to stimulate laying seems to go over my females head)
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thank you very much for your well informed reply....
      “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

T pruriens can be little skittish but pretty good species to keep, my female was gigantic. breeding easy enough however I was unfortunate to have such a small mature male that he was dwarfed by the female and couldnt physically lift her up. Kept him in with her for couple of weeks and every day tried but got eaten in the end.

Comment

agree 100% with Colin's care advice. they're quite hardy, and can be fast and skittish and great eaters. i do water but rarely and they seem to do just fine.
          growth rates are not all that fast.
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
          X