Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silcone?

Hi all,

I was browsing another forum and came across a thread about using silicone sealants. There seems to be a variety of opinion out there as to what is OK to use and what isn't. I recently started building my own acrylic enclosures and used Evo Stik Sanitary Silicone (Bostik) to install a few attachments. It has quite a strong smell and I waited until the odour had completely dissapeared and then gave it another few days before housing my T in it just to be sure. I must admit at the time I didn't consider whether or not this might be harmful to T's, and their all still alive and well after nearly 2 months.

My question is, once the siscone has cured is it still harmful? Does it still release harmful fumes? Am I slowly killing my collection?

The label reads, highly waterproof, contains fungicide. I would appreciate any advice or reassurance that this is OK to use.

Thanks, Jamie.
    My Collection:

Might pay to read this thread Jamie

click here

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for the info Mark. I think in the future I will definitely use the aquarium silicone.

The only place I have used it is to attach screen vents to the sides and roof of my enclosures. There was nothing else I could find that would stick aluminium to acrylic! Would I be right in saying the spider would have to come into direct contact with the silicone for there to be a problem? There is virtually nothing showing that the spider could touch. The problem is, they are all due to moult very soon so I don't really want to disturb them if I don't have to. I would have to temporarily rehouse them to pull the vents off and reseal them with the new stuff. I'm more than happy to do this if it is advised. I'm not really sure what to do, what would you suggest?

Many thanks, Jamie.
      My Collection:

Comment

Working...
      X