help ive got bugs in my tanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help ive got bugs in my tanks!

I found bugs in my avic tank when i was moving her to her new one. They were in the water dish as well as on the substrate. i thought i had just kept the tank to wet but now i just discovered the same thing in my othe two tanks (chillean rose and red rump). They are white and worm shaped and may have little antennas but they are so small its hard to tell. in all 3 tanks they are mainly swimming around in the water but some are on the substrate. What are these things and how the hell did i get them! Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to keep getting them

A picture could help, but it sounds like you have had some one lay it's eggs in the tanks.
    I have had crickets lay eggs in some of the tanks, and a few weeks later they hatched...
    It could also be the resault of dead food left in the tank if you forgot it there by any chance.

Now, first thing to do is a good clean to the tanks. I'd also nuke (microwave) the substrat befor you reintroduce it into the tanks. Try to check that your T's aren't infested, and start over making sure that no leftovers are left behind.

Hope I helped.

Comment

tank cleaning

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have trouble finding cricket remains in my tanks. Either my spiders dont leave much or i just cant recognise the leftovers. I use peat moss mixed with vermiculite for substrate and im thinking maybe the dark peat moss is hiding it any suggestions?

Comment

Most people I know have trouble finding remains. I know I do. What I eventualy did is take the time to watch the T eat and then I found out where he hid the remains.
        It changes from T to T. My murinus put's them out on display dangeling on the glass; while my striped knee (sorry, I am not sure which spicies it is, store bought) burys them at the far corner.

There is also another option for the infestation you have encountred. Did you put in the enclouser any wood or organic decoration that you have found in nature? sometimes such decoration are infested with worms or other egges just waiting for some warm and damp wether to hatch...

when I add such decoration I make sure to put them through hell to get rid of all the bugs. There are a few methods used, and I am not sure as to what is best. Here are a few:
        Freezer for 3-4 days;
        Boil in water for about 10 min';
        Nuke it!!! using the standred microwave, not chernovill style;
        Soak in Bleach - this requires that you later soak the decoration in clean water and scrub it with warm soapy water, as bleach is dageros to all life forms;

Hope I helped,
        Yinnon.

Comment

hi, it could be baby crickets, just an idea, paul

Comment

Getting rid of beasties...

Hi there Yinnon

Originally posted by hike34
            Nuke it!!! Using the standard microwave, not Chernobyl style
            And how long in the radiation chamber do you do an average sized log for?

Anyway, Good idea ! - just nuked T's potential new home, a particularly fetching bit of earthenware, and gave it 3 mins on Hi, and nothing blew up. All good.

Jay
            Carefully looking after an empty cage...

Comment

Re: Getting rid of beasties...

Originally posted by Cerbera
              And how long in the radiation chamber do you do an average sized log for?

Anyway, Good idea ! - just nuked T's potential new home, a particularly fetching bit of earthenware, and gave it 3 mins on Hi, and nothing blew up. All good.

Jay

I usualy go anywhere from 3 to 5 min', depending on the size of what I am entering. Make sure to always add a glass of water into the microwave, as running the mic' in dry conditions is very bad for the mic'.

Also, make sure there are no metalic item's like a nail or even gum-wrap!!!

Comment

Hi @ll!

Originally posted by bev7o9
                I found bugs [...] They were in the water dish as well as on the substrate.
                I guess there's been a humidity level of 60+ in your tanks and would therefor think your "bugs" could have been Collembola aka springtails which are quite useful and often used in combination with Trichorhina tomentosa aka tropical white woodlice.

Additional information might be found here:
                Collembola #1
                Collembola #2
                Collembola #3

Trichorhina #1 (see Martin Huber's post)
                Trichorhina #2

Both species can be bought at
                dartfrog.co.uk
                and/or other stores ...

Best wishes,
                Uwe

Comment

Working...
                X