P.regalis bad moult help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.regalis bad moult help.

My immature P.regalis has just moulted today but the skin has stuck to her abdomen, or her new leg that she grew... I have never had this happen before, I have tried to cover up some vents to create more humidity but how will she get it off? I am really worried please help.

I also know that outside intervention is the last thing you should do, and only in extreme cases. I also think that it would be impossible to try and intervene due to her speed and nervousness.

But if push comes to shuv how soon should i act? if its sooner rather than later then i am screwed as its 1am and it will be morning before i get some advice....

Fingers crossed,,,,
    Last edited by Lee Corless; 18-04-10, 12:00 AM.
    “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

How is the Regalis doing? did you spray any water to increas humidity? Outside intervention is the last resort, a pair of small tweezrs, patiance, a steady hand and big balls are needed!

Comment

If it comes to it you could use a soft paint brush in some water to help soften the skin and not damage the T.
      Tarantulas kept:
      0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

The first time I found my G. rosea with the old moult stuck to her abdomen I was worried like yourself. Since then I've seen a number of threads in various forums explaining the same thing, so its not uncommon.
        If you can spray or drop a little water onto the area where its joined you'll likely help for it to fall off naturally. I'd certainly try that over a few days and if you confident you could use scissors to remove the majority of the moult.
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Just one thing further to Petes advice, you could try and just hold the moult (delicately and after dampening) with tweezers and see if it pulls away when the spider walks off, it will only pull with the amount of pressure it knows won't injure itself.
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thank you for all your help. But I had to get involved during the early hours. She was trying to emerge from her Burrow and the old what was caught up in the webbing causing her to panic and try and get free....
            . I managed to free her and cut off as much as the moult as i could, there is just one piece stuck to the side of her abdomen hanging down and another piece dangling off that.

so i hope i did the right thing. i just hope these other pieces will fall off on there own....
            Last edited by Lee Corless; 18-12-11, 11:44 PM.
            “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

I dont have any advice Im afraid, just wanted to say I hope she is ok and recovers well from this. She certainly is a beautiful T

J x
              Owner of:
              A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
              Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
              Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

yeah, I Checked on her at dinner time at she looked to be ok. I put her Hide back in and she was inside there, she was all stretched out, so she seems ok. Just gonna go buy a humidifier and keep it more humid than i normally would, and hopefully she will cast them off her self....

Comment

P regalis

Super looking spider bye the way.....all id be doing would spray the area on the T with warm water and im sure itll fall away soon....you have the same set up as my male P regalis is kept in....hes mature and looking for a lady friend now so if anyone can use his services PM me.......
                  all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

Comment

Originally posted by scott wilson View Post
                    Super looking spider bye the way.....all id be doing would spray the area on the T with warm water and im sure itll fall away soon....you have the same set up as my male P regalis is kept in....hes mature and looking for a lady friend now so if anyone can use his services PM me.......
                    Just came home, she is alive and looking well, half of the loose part has come away, she is just lying on the wet subsrate, so she obviously knows what she is doing.

As for the breading, I am the only one in my town into this hobby, apart from a friend of mine, but he only has an A.genticulata Male...

And as for me, having never bred any Ts before i would not like to attempt it with this species or with anyone elses T just incase the worse happens...

Thanks for the advice though, All of it is very helpfull...

Comment

As long as the moulted skin isn't stuck around the booklung area then it should be ok, have had spiders go through to another moult with bit's of skin attached with no problems. Normally it'll work its way loose and fall off though.
                      I wouldn't over humidify the tank for extended lengths of time, it would create a nice environment for mould and fungal spores, these "can" cause problems with the spider respiratory system.
                      Good luck ...keep us updated
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

she is fine,her hide is webbed back up, standing pokie on the heatmat side of the tank at the moment 2wce the size she was... all white and silvers, instead of the various shades of grey she was....

Comment

Working...
                        X