Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Lasiodora Klugi

Greetings from across the pond!

I have with me a Lasiodora that was sold as Difficilis. The seller told me he was suspicious that it may not be Difficilis, but rather a Klugi. The tarantula is quite large, approximately 8 inches and is suspected to have only matured on her last molt. The hair on her abdomen is pinkish, though not as red as Klugi photos I have seen. The reason for my suspicion is that Difficilis is not known to grow to this size. Also, The tarantula I have has very thick legs like a Klugi.

Can someone give me some key characteristics of a Klugi? Perhaps an identification key. I hope I dont have some sort of hybrid.

Any chance of a pic, sounds as if you are describing L. parahybana (Salmon Pink)
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

thats what i was thinking.......

Comment

Klugi's tend to have redder hairs on the abdomen I believe.

There is a shop by me mis-selling a L.para as a L.klugi unfortunately.
        Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
        Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

I'll post a photo later today. I left my camera in my workplace over the weekend.

Comment

Hi Nicholo, here's a couple of pics for you to compare, one is of the L. Klugi and the other is the L. Parahybana, on the stone, both females

Comment

I have yet to a see a description of L. klugi or L. parahybana that's referring to an actual publication. While it may very well be true that L. klugi *tends to* have a more reddish setation on the abdomen, that in itself is a little difference and certainly not enough to consider them separate species. There most be other (albeit more "technical") differences. I'm sure the identification of species in the Lasiodora genus will be addressed in the coming revision, which will contain a few surprises for many.
              Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
              "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
              "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

just in case people my other thread was not noticed, this is the lasiodora I have that I am suspicious of.

Comment

Working...
                X