thinking on getting Avicularia braunshauseni, help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking on getting Avicularia braunshauseni, help needed

I saw the stated above sling for sale, it also has the common name of 'pinktoe golieth' which is the same as my current theraphosa slings common name.

Can someone with experience tell me how big Avicularia braunshauseni gets? I thought maybe i could section of a 1/3 of my (23 inch across and 11 and 1/2 inch high and wide) aqaurium that i got with plexiglass. Is it good to use coloured plexi when you section of tanks?
    I also plan too put a roof on it made of plexiglass wih a load of drilled vent holes.

Do you think this would make an enclouser that would be enough in hight and width for a aboreal? I have never owned an aboreal spider and dont particularly know their specific needs.

I thought i could make the width for the aboreal 7 or eight inches of the tank, with the length and hight still being 11 1/2 iches

I planned to house my apophysis in their when it was grown, but i think its a nice idea to have the two different types of pinktoe golieths in the same sectioned enclouser, one terrestrial and the one abroeal.

Any other facts that you can tell me about this spider would be much appriciated, or any suggestions

Thanks
    B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

hasnt any anything to say? I was mainly thinking if the 7in lenght for te aboreal and the 11in hight and width would be ok. Does this siper come close to the other Golieths in size? any comments would be ok
    B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Comment

I think an adult comes to about 7inches form what I can see on the net and for caring for them seems to be no different than other Aviculara's.

I can't see there being many similarities between A. braunshauseni and your T. apophysis, mainly because although one is a goliath pinktoe and the other is a pinkfoot goliath, they are not actually form the same genus. Thats why I like to use the scientific names, cos as they can be hard to learn you get used to them pretty quickly and it avoids the confusion that some common names can cause!

I dont know much about either but from what I can gather the apophysis is a fast, semi-aggressive burrower (in the wild they can burrow up to 24 inches into the ground) that grows up to 9-13inches (some possibly bigger than T.blondi) whereas the A. braunshauseni is a fairly docile arborreal that grows up to 7inches.
      And they also don't look similar.

I would imagine the set up for the A. braunshauseni to be the same as for other Avicularia and for the apophysis it should be important for floor space with them growing so big and also enough substrate for them to have a but of a burrow. However Im definitely no expert on Ts let alone these species so I'll leave someone who is to give you the particulars.

J x
      Owner of:
      A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
      Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
      Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Found this http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Avic..._braunshauseni might be of use for you.
        Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

Comment

I have to say i often laugh out loud when reading these "Wiki" articles .... and when someone says

Breeding of this genus is pretty straight forward since they can be kept communally, it is however difficult to get them "in the mood".
          You can tell the writers a man of science eh
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

A. braunshauseni is one of my favourite Avics. They tend to get to around 7 inch legspan and are a bit more feisty than most other Avics. Mine was actually slightly aggressive on the odd occassion. Keep them the same as most other Avics with a temp around 78f. A light misting twice a week will suffice.
            The size of tank you mentioned will be far too big for a sling. A jar or tub of around 5-6 inch height ( should last until juvenile stage) with a piece of corkbark and a bit of plant or leaves will give it something to web in to make it retreat. They are active little hunters (unlike what the linked article states) and tend to be good feeders if conditions are correct. I think there is nothing better than watching my Avics hunt. They freefall from some height onto their prey and can often be seen jumping in their tanks during the chase.
            An excellent choice

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Thanks everone for the great replies. I just ordered of the net the following slings; A Braunshauseni, h. Lividium, and a brackypelma bohmei.
              When i first started getting an interest in T's the latter two were what sparked my interest.

Joanna is right that the theraphosa is quite aggressive (so its told) and have severe urticating hair and even sometimes hiss with their chelicerea loudly. And thanks Elaine, i wasnt planning on housing the two slings in the tank yet but when their grown.
              So i take it that a space that small in width (*or eight inches, so long as i leave the majority of the tank to the Golieth birdeater) is enough.

I was planning for the apophysis to have half or bit more coir fibre mixed in with vermiculite (2 to 1 parts) for 2/3's off the tank, and the rest being sand in their. Do any of you know if the calcium sand they use is any good for T's?
              I wanted to do this because in a book ive got they got a pic of c.Crawshayi marching on a tank filled with sand, and it looks really great. Its a great book before any of you complain about the sand (or anything), but that why i only plan on the lesser half being sand

And ive got a seperate tilted question that i thought i would put here, i gathered some woodlice up and wanted to find out if they contain any flees or anything that could be harmful. They say its a good idea to put them in the tank (with my adult B.emilia) because they eat any leftover prey remains lice cricket legs etc.
              Last edited by sagar jason nigam; 20-04-10, 06:40 PM.
              B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Comment

Woodlice are great for cleaning up mould, fungae spores etc, they also (if enough of them) will be able to reduce the amount of food bolus (leftovers) and faeces in the tank.

If you have gathered them from a garden or an area that "could" have been in contact with any chemicles then i would suggest that you quaranteen them for about two weeks, giving them "clean food" (vegetable / salad / tropical fish food flakes / moist unsugared breakfast cereal) this will enable toxins to be expelled from their body by giving them a better diet. As they are a crustacean they can hold toxins in their body without any ill effect before they expel the substance, i wouldn't risk placing them in a spider enclosure straight away.
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                X