Please help me ID this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me ID this.

I bought this as a H. minax. Unfortunately I am currently selling a load of my T's and am considering this one but I'm not sure what it is. In the ID galleries some of the pics look just like it but some of my pics, particularly the juvenile ones with the cream / beige abdomen and the amount of blue in the later ones, have really thrown me. On top of that, although I almost never see it, it has started drumming occasionally. The last time I got a good look, it definately didn't have hooks or emboli.
    Any opinions welcome.
    Attached Files

Haplopelma lividum (?)
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Yeah a few people have said that but I keep a lividum and the colour difference is obvious, the minax is far far darker, the blue is only apparent in the right light or camera flash. Also the first pictures I took when I got it (the cream coloured carapace) doesn't appear to be typical of either sex sub adult lividum.I think. lol

Comment

I go wth Guy based on the first photo. H.lividum does have a few variations in colour. Its impossible to say from a photo however as the flash can cause all sorts of problems.. Still a beautiful spider though.
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Ramsey View Post
          (the cream coloured carapace) doesn't appear to be typical of either sex sub adult lividum.I think. lol
          Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
          "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
          "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Lol, nice pic. I'm not suggesting lividums don't ever have a cream coloured carapace. Your quote was my reference to a pic I posted. In comparison of the lividum and the sixth pic I posted, I see the differences far more than the similarities?

Comment

first pic looks very like H. lividum. seems to look slightly different in the later pics. I'd prob just go with H. lividum though - could sex of T have any affect on slight differences in appearance? (I don't know what sex this one, or your H.lividum you are comparing with are)

J x
              Owner of:
              A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
              Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
              Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Working...
              X