My GBB just came out of hiding!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My GBB just came out of hiding!!!!

We got our sling last tuesday, and for the past nearly week she has been holed up in her hide, havin pushed some substrate in front of it and webbed up a lot inside it (which I was amazed by, didnt even think 2nd instars could do that!

Well, I couldnt see her, but didnt want to poke around in case she was moulting. She's been there around 6 days. Today she reappeared!!!

Problem is I didnt get a chance to measure her before she went into hiding and only had her for a few days before that so can remember properly what she was like then.

She looks longer, but almost skinnier and the dark coloured bits on her look shinier. Do we think she was moulting? Or have I imagined the difference in appearance cos I want her to have moulted?

I daren't disturb her for a few days yet, so cant poke around in her hide to find a moult!

J x
    Owner of:
    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

if her legs look lighter in colour and she has a skinnier abdomen then she could of possibly molted, only way of knowing is going in her hid and looking for the molt, but there not easy to spot at that size!

Comment

just went to examine her legs James and she'd back in the bloody hide lol!

update later when she comes out again! x
      Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Looking forward to the update!

Comment

right she appears sporadically but anytime I try to get a good look she buggers off into her hide again. Cant believe the webbing thats gone on. I dont want to pull her hide apart and break all the webbing but I cant see another way to look for a moult!

Ive had a little look with a child's torch into it and i think i can see something. so once the child who's still awake goes to sleep, im going in with the tweazers. any tips on not breaking her little webbing bit up too much?

J x
          Last edited by Joanna Pendleton; 23-04-10, 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
          Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

I wouldnt worry about breaking the webbing, they'll soon repair that so dont worry!! I just usually lift the hid up, and go from there, keeping an eye on where the T is nd making sure it doesnt run off! then go around the enclouser and check for the molt, buy noe though it'll be really dry and fall apart very easy!

Comment

Right investigation of tub, specifically hide done! Also some GBB crawling and escapism encountered, good job we did this in another larger container. (my just in case method when I was first housing her!)

Investigation allowed for a good look at Kama who is now definitely around an inch rather than 3/4 inch and you can tell the difference, she is new and shiny, lol. I found a small bit of what might be mangled moult but only one tiny eeny bit, leading me to believe she may have eaten the rest? I know Ts do do that sometimes, but do they at this age?
              x
              Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Cool. I just read about these in a BTS journal from 2007. They are a semi desert species and like it dry,like the Chile rose. Theyre also a challenge to breed as the females are very cannibalistic!
                My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

excellent stuff J!! pleased u found 'remains of a molt! u should put some pics up!

Comment

As promised, pictures of Kama after her moult! She's not actually as bid as I thought but defo bigger than before! (her length is about that of a penny, as shown in pics of her next to a penny!)

J x
                    Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Stunning little sling

Comment

aww how cute!! And doesnt she look like an avic with those 'socks'!
                        Ray Gabriel

Comment

Very cute sling !!! i have a slightly bigger 1 too, and they are really good feeding T's

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo Trabucco View Post
                            Very cute sling !!! i have a slightly bigger 1 too, and they are really good feeding T's

Gorgeous!!
                            Ray Gabriel

Comment

Thanks James and Larry, she is lovely. And I love the little "socks" on her, very sweet!

Paolo, how gorgeous is your sling? lovely. What instar is he/she? Thanks for posting that pic, always nice to see other people's slings but is nice to see what Kama is going to look like soon!

J x
                              Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Working...
                              X