Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Elaine, you really should have done your homework before buying your spiders. The Phlogius and Haplopelma will not make very good display species at all, as they prefer to hide all the time. I read one of your other threads about handling these two also, I'm sure everyone will agree...Don't, you will get bitten!

Comment

I have always wanted a cobalt blue anyway so thats ok, and phlogius is a sp. i never heard about before buying but they seem interesting. I certainly wouldnt really think about handleing them as such though, maybe when they grow they will be docile enough perhaps for me to put my hand near them. I wouldnt mind trying handleing the T.apophysis though - after ive seen what hes like growing.

By the way, my Avic shed its skin last night, and for the whole day now (10 till 2) has been crouched up in a ball atop the bark (in the pic) and appears to be lifeless. It moulted right next to the heater side, so i hope it didnt dry out. Perhaps thats something i should be aware of in future... Is it a good idea or important to have the plastic boxes almost touching the heater?
      I checked the moult this moring and it seems completely with the abdomen attachment.

Is this normal behaviour for an avic? I dont want to disturb it yet
      Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 25-04-10, 02:41 PM. Reason: Removed handling video/edited links and reference to other forum
      B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

Comment

You obviously know best then mate. Whats the point, You havent even researched the BTS standpoint on handling T's. Good luck with your spiders. Please research them, don't end up in casualty...because that is what will eventually restrict keeping T's in the UK, ignorant owners who get bitten and have to be admitted to A & E, just because someone makes a video at home, does that make it acceptable?

Comment

I really don't see the necessity of handling, I mean I've done it a few times,as its handy to get them used to being manouvered, but it seems there's a trend for handling the difficult or likely to bite species which is just silly! They're still essentialy wild animals,never become 'pets' as it were.
          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Shone View Post
            I really don't see the necessity of handling, I mean I've done it a few times,as its handy to get them used to being manouvered, but it seems there's a trend for handling the difficult or likely to bite species which is just silly! They're still essentialy wild animals,never become 'pets' as it were.
            I agree, the trend will affect the hobby eventually in a very negative manner. Its irresponsible if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen jordan View Post
              I agree, the trend will affect the hobby eventually in a very negative manner. Its irresponsible if anything.
              Going slightly off here I showed my Ts on a gardening forum, asking first if they wanted to see them, and one member replied that she was suprised I had wild tarantulas running around the house, and another said theyre safe because their fangs are removed at birth!! I mean, how ignorant are some people of facts these days!!
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Thanks for the support guys ....

What we don't want is for the thread to zoom away from the original topic "cling film" and delve onto the realms of "Handling" where lots of threads go due to the massive difference of opinion in the matter between hobbyists.

The Bts supports a "non handling policy" and we (mods and admin) remove (ASAP) links, intentional debate instigation, images and references to other forums concerning this.
                The BTS is not saying that it's "the law" not to handle spiders but more "common sense guidelines" so at the end of the day no harm comes to spider or handler (young or old)

Shall we continue the thread as per original post
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                  Thanks for the support guys ....

What we don't want is for the thread to zoom away from the original topic "cling film" and delve onto the realms of "Handling" where lots of threads go due to the massive difference of opinion in the matter between hobbyists.

The Bts supports a "non handling policy" and we (mods and admin) remove (ASAP) links, intentional debate instigation, images and references to other forums concerning this.
                  The BTS is not saying that it's "the law" not to handle spiders but more "common sense guidelines" so at the end of the day no harm comes to spider or handler (young or old)

Shall we continue the thread as per original post
                  Indeed Colin, and I'm glad this site does have that policy!
                  As for the cling film debate well even those cricket boxes look really thin to me. Maybe OK for slings but I wouldnt trust a T in one! I get these plastic boxes from the pound shop, they have secure snap on lids with handles, and the plastic's quite thick,like Tupperware stuff. the only thing is thetre not as clear as those cricket boxes but well its a trade off until theyre big enough for a proper tank.
                  Ray Gabriel

Comment

Forgot the pics.
                    Heres Pip when she was in one(now in a proper tank)
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...p_july09_2.jpg

and heres my juvenile White Knee in one
                    Ray Gabriel

Comment

I bought most of my spiderling tubs from medical supply companies, 200ml sample beakers with screw lids, cheap, robust, easily drilled. Spidershop has tubs. Clingfilm and pint glasses, not a good idea...e bay has every size imaginable, sweet jars etc. I thought about using cricket tubs, but I dont think they are up to the task.

Comment

I think everone has overacted about the handling part slightly,

and i definately respect the no handing policy for T's by the BTS, as they all possess venom and some are likely to bite, and a bite from a potent species could end up in a loss of fingers or terrible scar

I think the main reason the links got removed was because they linked to another forum. They just showed a (very unusual) docile T.blondi, and even weirder a docile phlogius species - these are species that are descibed as very wild and dangerous and prone to bite with little provocation. I guess it is a silly idea to try handling someting like that

The thread is a bit obsolete for me now as i only posted the orginal question whist i was setting up their habitas for the 2cm sings.
                        Last edited by sagar jason nigam; 25-04-10, 03:59 PM. Reason: cleaning up post
                        B.emilia Adult

Spiderling T.Apophysis

Slings:

A.Braunshauseni

H.lividium

B.Bohemi

Phlogius. sp "Earth Tiger"

Comment

Those tupperware containers are fab arent they? I have a tiny one for my sling and they have them in all different sizes lol, perfect for a growing spider.

Can I advise that the OP go and get some right away (remember to put ventilation holes in the lid), as they will be much better for the slings to start settling down and making a home in.

And if future perhaps questions will be asked and care of EACH species' special needs will be researched BEFORE getting the actual Ts!

Best of luck in the future

J x
                          Owner of:
                          A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
                          Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
                          Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

The Spider Shop sell 500ml plastic rearing jars which I use to house my slings in. The setup you have at the moment is not really ideal. I would look to re house them in something more suitable ASAP.

Originally posted by sagar jason nigam View Post
                            I think everone has overacted about the handling part slightly,
                            I disagree. Not only do you put yourself at risk when handling an aggressive species, more importantly you put the T at risk too. A fall from a short distance could kill or seriously injure the T. You should only ever handle your T's when necessary, not for leisure. An unsightly scar is the last of your worries, some bites have effects that last for weeks, even months!
                            My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                              I disagree. Not only do you put yourself at risk when handling an aggressive species, more importantly you put the T at risk too. A fall from a short distance could kill or seriously injure the T. You should only ever handle your T's when necessary, not for leisure. An unsightly scar is the last of your worries, some bites have effects that last for weeks, even months!
                              Sorry but have to add also that handling of defensive Ts followed by a bite does the hobby no favours at all!
                              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Right ... the links to the handling videos were removed because i made the decision to increase the "scope" of rule 10 in the "rules and regs" we all should read before registering. Though not actually images uploaded or linked in full to this site, the links provided viewing of handling that could be accessed through this site.

We've established that research should be undertaken before the purchase of any pet

We've established what tubs are adequate for housing slings and what the general setup should be.

The thread has started to turn away from the original topic, as some do ...

I'm respecting Sagars comment about the thread being "obsolete" and so therefore, before it becomes "heated" in the way most do on sensitive subjects, the thread will be closed for reply.
                                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                                X